Chemical Pregnancy...

I miscarried in August at 9wks. I also believe I just had a 'chemical pregnancy' this month due to positive pregnancy tests that turned negative a few days later, followed by what I thought was my period about four days late. This bleeding only lasted three days, while my normal period is seven. Can anyone tell me if they experienced a similar short bleeding after a chemical pregnancy, because I thought it was suppose to be heavier and longer after a miscarriage. I am starting to worry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• The reason why the bleeding is sometimes lighter after a chemical pregnancy than it usually is after a  traditional full-blown miscarriage where your body passes the entire pregnancy is because your body may absorb the chemical pregnancy a bit before passing the unabsorbed tissue. Most women expierence chemicals pregnancies at least once and they never know it because the bleeding is so minimal...they just assume that they are having a heavier period.

Hope this helped!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Chemical pregnancies usually don't occur at nine weeks...they usually occur before 3 or four weeks. You probably did NOT have a chemical pregnancy...you most likely had a viable pregnancy and your body just absorbed the majority of the pregnancy before passing the rest as usually occurs with chemical pregnancies...

...think "vanishing twin syndrome"...google "vanishing twin syndrome" and read up on it.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, though...I've been there before..

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Sorry if i was unclear. I had a miscarriage at nine weeks in August. I just now, this month, think I had a chemical pregnancy for the reasons I stated above. I started to bleed on Thurs, and haven't bled much today, nothing since this am. I am concerned something bigger might be wrong, because I though after a chemical preg, what you thought was your period would be longer and heavier. MIne hasn't been. It's been shorter.
    THanks for you help. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You may have expierenced IMPLANTATION BLEEDING which is often mistaken for an unusually light period...wait to take another pregnancy test in two or three weeks. If you are pregnant, it will be positive.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Hormones can be tricky... You could VERY possibly have had a chemical pregnancy again...OR you could be expierencing implantation bleeding...it can go either way...the first test was possibly a good urine sample that insinuated fertilization had already taken place but implantation had not. The second urine test could have just been a bad urine sample.

As I said..either is possible...just wait a few weeks and test again or see a doctor for an HCG Quant (blood test).

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• This cycle that I conceived on was a chemical pregnancy bleed rather than a normal menses. Mine was only 4 days long and then one of spotting (I typically spot longer after the bleeding, but it was mostly normal). I had the same as you--positive pregnancy test that turned negative. I also felt 'strange'--not like I was post-AF, but like I was still pregnant... does that make sense? which is why I tested and got the positive, then the negative later. Then I actually conceived that cycle, so go figure.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 3:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2008