The Big Forty

Just wondering do men really go thru a mid life crisis at age 40?

bLuStarr67

Asked by bLuStarr67 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Some do, some don't. Some go through it at 36, some at 47...I don't think 40 is necessarily special for that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Mostly women IMO
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 5:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Men go through a mid life crisis throughout their lifetime.. LOL

I'll share the ones I've been through so far.. It will take a few entries... LOL

20's crisis: gotta grow up, can't go out and party everynight, bro's before ho's is no longer a working model to live by, still feel like a teenager but I'm really not even though I still act like one at times.......... you get the pic.

30's crisis: what's happening with my career, is this really what I want to do with the rest of my life, now I have not only a wife, but wife/kids/bills/home etc etc how to deal with it all, oh no I'm noticing I'm starting to get a little older the young guys don't want to hang and party with me I'm becoming that guy who sits at home on Friday nights watching tv
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 40's crisis: hitting middle age, still worried about career but now instead of worrying about how to pay for babies/home/bills etc it's now "how do I pay for college" and how am I going to be okay for retirement, I'm definitely the old guy who now sits at home on Friday/Saturday nights but it's because being out in crowds makes me cranky and hanging out with young people gets annoying I just want to be in my house doing my thing without hassles.............

I'll let you know what the 50's crisis is in a few years............. :-)

((ages change depending on what age the man hits each of these life stages.. LMAO)
    pixie_trix

• I think it is just an excuse for poor behavior.

Im in my mid 40s and all my friends are my age or older. I dont know anyone who has had a "mid life crisis". 

I know plenty of people who get to a point where they are secure in their careers, the children are older, money isnt as big an issue, and so they start focusing inward a bit  more.  Working out a bit more and perhaps traveling more since money is good and the kids are older.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Does a midlife crisis always involve poor behaviour?

A mid life crisis is a point and time when one stop's and questions the :who, what, where, when's , & how's of their life. Question if they are doing what they really want to do, question if they are living up to their own potential or standards, question if they are happy...etc.. Everyone has some point and time in their lives when they do this. Many if not most of us ( I know I fall in this category.. lol) have hit this point more than once in their lifetime. This is dealt with in many many ways. Some : set off on a new career, some continue or further their education, some pick up a new hobby, some travel, some pursue a dream they had put off, etc...etc.etc.. These things are not negatives in someone's life.

I'm not sure why so many (even popular media.. who is by far the biggest offender) think if a midlife crisis in a negative light
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i think so i married a 42 year old man when i was 29, now we're divorced and are still friends but he looks at younger women all the time and wants to buy big boy toys like motorcycle, boat, sports car
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 6:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• beckybuck... I think that is specific to the man YOU chose to marry.

Please do not lump all men in with him. My husband is in his 40s and is a real man and a moral man and would NEVER be looking to sleep with a woman young enough to be his bio-daughter.
    Anonymous

• just want to say Thank you for all the great responses i recieved. Also if i offended anyone please accept my apology, i wasnt saying my husband is having a mid life crisis i just wanted to knw if it could happen and what to expect in case. Once again thanks to all the great responses. Special thx. to pixie trix love the humor. =]
    bLuStarr67

Comment by bLuStarr67 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010