My child is screaming to the point of having a bowel movement at bed time???

My daughter is 13 months old and we have just recently started putting her to bed awake and letting her put herself to sleep. We started this just a few days ago and even though she is crying less and less each time, she is getting herself so worked up that she is having a BM. I don't know what to do because by the time she gets herself to go to sleep we have to go in her room and change her diaper because she has pooped! And of course she wakes up. A friend of ours has a son, who is now 3, that everytime he cried and got himself worked up, he would throw up. It seems like she is doing the same thing but is pooping instead of throwing up. Does anybody have any advice, or has this happened to anyone else??? Please please help! So desperate for help!

nickylee81

Asked by nickylee81 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I assume you have tried reading to her, or sitting in the room for a short time. When children are upset or sick they react systemically, meaning their body reacts also. Does she have a tv in her room? If so, is there a DVD you can put in to make her more relaxed and want to stay in the room? I'm sorry, I know it's heartbreaking as a parent when your child is crying so hard like that. I know all will work out....it just takes time. Hang in there.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Try playing some soothing music or something of that nature. I have never let my kids cry themselves to sleep but I have read that music works for a lot of people. Good Luck!
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• To be completely honest, I don't think that there is any reason that you HAVE to let your child fall asleep on their own. My daughter is 2 and I have always let her fall asleep in my lap. It's our "mother/ daughter" time since I am a day care provider and she never really get me to herself. She sleeps in her own bed and doesn't wake up during the night or anything so I don't see anything wrong with it. I know that everything says that they need to but I don't agree with that.

Also, my neice throws up when she cries really hard and we have had an awful time overcoming that. Actually we haven't. She lays down at night in her own bed, in her own room and watches a DVD until she falls asleep.

I really hope this helps. Good Luck in whatever you chose to do. Remember, you are her mother and it's your choice.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 12:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• When you are letting her cry it out, you should be going and checking on her every 5 or 10 minutes, saying goodnight, and laying her back down again in her bed. ~ It will take quite a few times, so when you smell her, change her before you leave the room again. You might even need to check her diaper every few times just to make sure. ~ You will get past this soon, and have wonderfully peaceful evenings =) ~ Good Luck!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2008