At what age do you let your kids play outside by themeselves?

We have a fenced in yard if that plays a part in your answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well right now my kids 7 and 5 (5 year old is mild aspergers) are playing outside in our fenced in yard. My doors are open so I can hear them and I can see about 40 % of the yard sitting here too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son was 4 I believe. Where I could see. Then, at 5...he played in the yard alone all the time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• By the way, my dd who has mild aspergers is HIGHLY untrustworthy...lol. She gets a wild idea to do something bad and she will just do it...so I feel like she needs extra supervision.

At her age my son would play alone outside where I could see or hear him...but he is very mature.

It depends a lot on the kid and how well they do alone with choice making.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son is 7yrs old and he plays outside without me watching his every move, but he knows to come in the house and chk in every little bit or so. I also go out and check on him.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We don't have a fenced yard and there are some people in the neighborhood (adults) that I don't trust. Never? They can when we are at someother people houses just not in thei neighborhood.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 5:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my older kids are 9yrs and 6yrs so they can play outside i live in a good community with security and a check point nobody can come in to this community without registering at the front gate and my kids if they are outside i can see and hear them so its all good here...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I son is 6 and I let him sometimes.
    briannacline

Answer by briannacline at 6:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My 6 year old daughter plays in the backyard alone - the yard isn't fenced, but the back wall is largely windows, so she's always within sight. I live on a river, but she knows how close you're allowed to go without holding my hand and doesn't go beyond that point.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Never, these days nowhere is really safe I am overprotective, but my kids are irreplaceable! I am traumatized by the disappearance of children/teens in the safest known neighborhoods. I live in a pretty safe area and there's kids that have gone missing here. I just take the time to have my kids play outside under my supervision.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 6:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Mine stay in the yard n they are 8 and 6!
    GarrettsWifey

Answer by GarrettsWifey at 6:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010