What do all you SAHM do when you are sick? We don't get "sick days". :(

I am a new SAHM and am sick. I am wondering how this will work since I can't exactly ask the hubby to take off work when he just went back a couple of weeks ago from paternity leave. I can't imagine taking care of my newborn and toddler when this cold really kicks in!!! Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call in the in-laws as much as I hate to do it. I wish my parents were closer because I know they'd be more than happy to give me a day-off to sleep. Otherwise, I push through it and pray my DD will go easy on me.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 5:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If you have family or a close friend to help you that is what I suggest. I am sick everyday of my life and a SAHM so I sympathize w/you!
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• When my son was that young, I'd just mainly try to suck it up and hang in till hubby could get home. What helps is having a nesting spot --either the living room or your bedroom --where you can all just hang out for the day. I'm not a big fan of tv but its one of those times where if you can keep the toddler occupied while you lay back and rest as much as possible, it's a good thing. Have snacks, drinks, and diapers nearby so you really only have to get up for diaper changes and maybe heating up some soup or something like that. Don't really worry about the house at the moment if you're really feeling bad. It will still be there when you're feeling better. Hope you get better soon!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Eh, us working moms have to deal with it too (not to make this a debate, just saying). If I'm sick I can take the day off work, but I'm most likely keeping my son home as well, so I still have to take care of myself and him and don't necessarily have a "break" so to speak.

Anyway, just take it easy when you can (easier said than done, I know), don't over exert yourself too much.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You just do what you do but feel lousy doing it.

In 15 yrs I have only twice had to get help.  Once was a migrane (had a week old and 2 yr old at home) and hubs had to come home at lunch time.  Second was the 24 flu when I couldnt even stand and hubs was out of town on business.  I had someone drive the kids home.  And they had to take care of them selves (10, 8 & 3.5 yr old) and just deal with in until hubs got home the next day.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My dd is four and I was sick yesterday and I have no choice but to keep her at home with me it was tough but I had to do it (she can kind of fend for herself now )...when she was younger I would call my mil to come get her or we would both go over to her house ! Make some easy to fix foods and try to keep them occupied so you can rest ...its really hard with a new born because they need you for everything and you do not want your kids getting sick either! Good luck! try taking some medicine asap and get some soup ready !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Unfortunately I jsut sucked it up and still do. The only time I couldn't do it was when I was diagnosed with Lymes Disease and the meds hadn't kicked in. I couldn't keep my eyes open and the pills made me want to hurl. My friend watched my DS with her daughter in the AM and my MIL came during the afternoon. You could always pay a sitter.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I developed several chronic medical conditions while pregnant with my 3rd child and became a single mother. I had no family so I had to parent no matter how sick I was. When my premature baby was 4 weeks old I got pneumonia & septicemia and had to be rehospitalized and got permission to have him in my room so I could breastfeed and so he wouldn't go in foster care. As soon as I was stable I went home on home IV therapy for 3 weeks. I was diagnosed with cancer a couple of weeks later and then with a rare immune deficiency disease. I had to have IV meds every 3 weeks and I arranged to have it at home so I could take care of my kids. I had OP surgery for the cancer and a friend held my baby in the waiting room. You do the best you can.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You just suck it up.  I'm sick, too.  Luckily it hasn't gotten worse than just a slight cough and sore throat (so far) but I feel so...blah.  I'm a SAHM to 5 kids including a 2 month old.

Basically I'm doing as little as possible.  I just made dinner but that's about all I've done today.  Luckily my other kids are older so they can fend for themselves but it was so rough when they were little (I had 3 kids under 3 at one point and got deathly sick with tonsilitis and just had to suck it up and keep dealing with the kids when I was in tears every time I swallowed and was unable to talk at all).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010