Should i take her? adult content

My step sis (15) just started having sex a couple months ago ...i just found out last week....she is currently grounded for having sex...her mom is not putting her on birth control because she told her to stop having sex...I think that is bull, my step sis already told me that she is not stopping and the last time she had sex the condom broke...i told her i would take her to the store and show and explain to her the different types of birth control and i also told her i would take her to get the pill...i do not want her to get pregnant....am i right to do this? My mom was smart enouh to put me on birthcontrol as soon as she found out...its common sence , right? do some parents think that their teenagers are going to stop just because they say No? to me thats crazy!!

KME3

Asked by KME3 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Most likely, you can't legally take her to get on the pill. But you can buy her condoms, teach her more about having safer sex, and give her information on how to lower the risks of STDs and pregnancy. And you can talk to her mom about her little common sense problem.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes I might go that route to tell her to use the pill and to back up with condom.

Do you have a small baby she can baby sit for a day...lol...let her see what happens and how hard it can be?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You cannot take her to get birth control. You are not her parent and as an adult - it opens you up for all kinds of trouble.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure about the legal ramifications, but it sure FEELS like the right thing to do. Yes, she will continue to have sex, and for her mother to think she won't is incredibly ignorant. So she SHOULD know how to protect herself. 15 is plenty old to learn about that (should have been done years ago, to be honest). My dad put me on birth control when I was 14, not because I was having sex, but because I started my period and like he said "you WILL have sex at some point, and I want you to be protected". It took me another year at least before I started having sex, so I really don't think putting me on the pill made me rush into it...

I think you're a good sister for wanting to look out for her. Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It is not your place to put a minor on BC, if she wants to be an adult about it then she can get on it herself. She needs to understand all the side effects of BC and that her childish ways are going to cause her to get an STD that BC will not take away.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am not sure about this. I mean if she is on the pill she will think she is completly covered...I mean if she is ever on antibiotics or forgets...I mean she is 15 is she mature enough to do it the right way? I am not so sure about that.

I have been married for 10 years and my dh and I use condoms (except for when we were TTC of course) but I have NEVER had one break I dont understand that....maybe they just need to be shown to buy better condoms...not cheap neon ones. Know what I mean.

I wouldnt want her to get pregnant either...but putting her on BC might be worse than none at all...know what I mean.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I've had at least a handful of condoms break ... so I understand that. I probably would make her an appointment at planned parenthood and let her go by herself, so at least your not really really involved.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I plan on schooling her on the effects of birth control and to always use a condom and even other spericiedes...lol...i plan on getting her everything!! and if she gets prego after that , then at least i know i tried...
    KME3

Comment by KME3 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i agree with twinsplus2more. wouldnt you be furious if someone else took your daughter to get on the pill without your consent? educate your stepsis and even talk to your stepmom passively about it. if your stepsis doesnt choose to protect herself and keeps having sex and your stepmom doesnt budge on the pill issue, then you will have to let it go.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Personally, I would rather take her to get birth control and deal with getting in trouble. Tell her that you don't think she should be having sex, this doesnt mean you want to hear about her sex life at all, you don't agree with what she is doing but she should use condoms and birth control and take her to get it. It's better to get in trouble for teaching her to protect herself than her catching HIV and getting pregnant because no one taught her what she should do to protect herself
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 5:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010