are you putting your daughters on birth control when they're teens?

i know this is a hot issue for some. i have 3 girls with a total of 3 years apart. therefore i will have 3 teenagers in my house someday. i'm not naive enough to think that they won't be having sex, i would rather them not, but it doesn't always work that way. i DO plan to educate them about the consequences of their actions. and i will discuss putting them on the pill at 16, but it is ultimately their choice as they cannot be forced.

so what do you plan to do when that dreaded day comes!? lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yup, I have every intention of putting my daughter (if that's what this next one is) on the pill... And probably before she's 16. My dad put me on the pill, a full year before I became sexually active. The way he saw it, I WAS going to have sex at some point, and he wanted to be pro-active, heh. Both my son and this next baby will be told about sex from a young age on. I think if you wait till they're teenagers, you're pretty much already too late...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't have a daughter (yet) but I will not put her on the pill. Any daughter I have will be taught just like any other child in this house our views on sex --it's great but really meant for marriage--and there are several reasons for that. She will also be taught about each type of birth control --how to use it, how effective it is, how to get it. This includes abstinence. She will be taught that the only sure fire way of not getting pregnant or an std is not to have sex. One last thing she will be taught --if she thinks she's grown enough to have sex, she'd best be grown enough to get herself on birth control. If she wants to be on the pill, come tell me. I'll take her to the appointment but I will not pay for it. If all else fails, come and talk to me and we'll figure out together which is best, adoption or keeping the baby.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• kids are having sex....all kids.

No, not ALL kids. Both of my sisters were virgins until AFTER they were 18. I know plenty of kids that made it to 21 with their virginity still intact.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• When it comes to protection, I will always make sure my kids have every option available. BUT, I will always discourage any teen - or adult for that matter - to steer clear of hormonal based birthcontrol options, including my own teens... I found out first hand just how dangerous hormone based BC can be, and have seen second hand a great many examples of how it can cause long term damage... IMO, NO ONE should be on hormonal BC... It's simply to dangerous and there are always other options...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No, cancer and heart problems are too common in our family so, hormonal BC is not a choice. Hopefully, my daughter will think more of herself then to have sex so young.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• kids are having sex....all kids. bad kids good kids smart kids nerdy kids dumb kids church kids. all kids. If people are dumb enough to think that their child isnt going to do it, more power to them, but I remember talking to my mom about how wrong it was and then meeting my boyfriend 4 hours later. My husband and I both agree on this issue. I am not raising my grandkids. They will most def be put on the pill.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't have daughters, but I do have 3 sons - with about 4 years in between each, so over a decade of teenage boy in my house. I fully plan on teaching them about sex, their sexuality and all the consquences of engaging in sex, but I also plan on supplying condoms. Because as much as I would prefer they wait until they are older and mature enough to fully understand what they are doing, I also would much rather they have a condom at that crucial moment than not.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yes. i can only prepare her so much and if she ever gets into any kind of situation i want her to be prepared and not become another teen pregnancy statistic
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I will put my daughter on birth control, probably depo but maybe there will be something diff out by then. My mom put me on Norplant (which is no longer on the market) at 15 and I am very thankful. I lied about it when I was having sex.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am in the exact same boat. Three girls three years apart. I intend to put them on birth control as soon as I get any indication that they are interested in boys. (and are having their periods.)
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010