How do I get my daughter to wear her new glasses?

My 9 year old has to wear glasses now and she's not happy about it. We just picked them up and as soon as we left the eye doctors she took them off. I had to tell her to put them back on or you won't get to go out and play when u get home. I'm afraid she's going to take them off when she's out of my sight. I told her if she doesn't wear them her eyes will get worse and worse. She thinks they make her look dorky and that everyone will make fun of her at school.

mom23girls541

Asked by mom23girls541 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Show her pictures of beautiful women in glasses. Dress her up with her hair fixed and put on her glasses. Take a picture so she can see how pretty she is. Something else. She can decorate the sides with a little bling bling. At Wal-Mart in the craft dept. she can choose colors and sparkles to put on the side of her glasses. or even Butterflies. Something to make it her own and she'll be comfortable in. If she has a friend, have them go together. This way she has a friend who will reinforce how pretty they look.... Just a thought, hope it helps..

Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 8:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Tell her she's still bootyful w/them on. That and she's not the only one!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My bf was having this same problem with her daughter...and she talked it over with her dd teacher...and asked the teacher could she have a class decussion about the importance of glasses..and the techer also asked the class to say something nice about the glasses so that her daughter would feel comfortable wearing them...and it work...the kids didnt tease her bcuz they were informed to be nice..
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 6:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I told her she's beautiful and that millions of people wear glasses. Including me and her older sister. She still doesn't like them.
    mom23girls541

Comment by mom23girls541 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my 8 yr old boy just got his he seemed good nd happy about getting them,but was also takeing them off constant,dont force her but incurage her tell her she looks cool,tell her that she needs them to see better nd that most artists (like her fav wear glasses when they need to.dont punish her maybe she dosent want to be teased by friends,
    ivette0423

Answer by ivette0423 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I totally agree with Prayerpartner. What great ideas!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2010