Working from Home, With Low Start up Cost?

Give me ideas for working from home.

I need something that isn't to high on the start up cost because we Christmas just around the corner I don't want to put to much out there and then not be able to make anything.

Any suggestions?

HANNAHSMOMMY25

Asked by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• this would be best in money & work.....but yu can ll outgrown toys and clotes on ebay or craigslist for some extra cash...as long as you have things in the house you can sell, a digital camera and some free prioriy boxes (can be ordered on usps.com) the start up is free. You don't owe ebay it's fees unless you sell and then after 30 days of starting to sell you get an invoice. If you take paypal they automaticall take fees when the customer pays!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My sister suggested for me to do face painting for birthday parties, festivals, fairs, etc. Then you'd only have to buy the face paint and some business cards (you can get business cards online printed up for the cost of shipping through some places - I think that's usually 50 but some might give you more) as well as a few fliers you could post in public areas. With a charge of $2-$5 a face, you could make quite a bit. Only reason I don't do it is that I don't have a vehicle to get to parties.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 6:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• There is a huge market right now for "natural" products, so things like washable breast & menstrual pads tend to sell rather well if you know how to market, and if you have a sewing machine they are really easy to make! Cloth diapers are easy too... as are "accessories" like wet bags and changing pads... I would suggest start an Esty shop and promote things like that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I first started selling online by listing my daughter's baby clothes on Ebay. That led to buying brand name clearance items or previously used and selling them on ebay. Certain brands have high resale, such as Gymboree, Children's Place, gap, etc. Somehow I ended up designing clothes in my head which led to my sewing business.

You can also do hairbows. Takes lots of practice, but can be a good business.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Oh, just had another though! It's seasonal but it can get you started....offer gift wrapping. I'm amazed at the number of people who cannot or will not wrap Christmas presents! I used to work at a department store where I learned professional gift wrapping. People have brought gifts to my other jobs, even to my house to get me to wrap them.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• check out my site, there are tons of jobs that dont cost and plenty of direct sales that just have small start fees. www.earningsinabasket.info
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• that's "but you can sell" sorry my laptop keyboard is dying a slow horrble death
    Mom2Jack04

• Great ideas so far. KEEP THEM COMING PLEASE?
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Comment by HANNAHSMOMMY25 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Ameriplan has a great Christmas Bonus promotion right now :-). Check out the company site and let me know what questions you have.

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 10:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Any service is a low start-up cost. If you know how to do something, then sell it! I am an accountant, so I started a Bookkeeping and Tax business. A friend of mine wanted to start something with low cost, and I told her that if you want to make something, then make a few, sell them, make more. Eventually the momentum will get going and you will be able to use some of the cash for other expenses.

With the Christmas shopping season only 6 weeks away, most start-ups will not make much in that time unless you are very lucky and one heckuva marketer! I wanted to comment on the Gift-wrapping idea... Just went into Macy's recently to get a gift wrapped, and they said they discontinued the service! I could not find a dept store anywhere in my area that would do it. Definitly a niche that could benefit you. Market well!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 10:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010