Did you eat deli sandwiches during pregnancy?

What does your Doctor say? I was told that I have to heat up the meat first. When I was pregnant 2 years ago, I only found out that it was dangerous by doing my own research. So I figured it was outdated information and had the occasional turkey sandwich. Turns out it must have been fairly new as now my Dr. sent home a flyer and the info is in the pregnancy books. Is there anything about certain meats that make them a bigger risk than others?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 6:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I ate deli sandwiches with both my pregnancies, my doctor never said anything. When I asked she said it wasn't that big a deal, and I could heat the meat if it made me feel better. I never did tho.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My kids are older, and I never even heard that you shouldn't eat deli meats when pregnant until recently...I ate them with all three pregnancies....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My doc would go down the list every stinkin' time. Nitrates this, nitrates that. Nuke the meat at least a few seconds, blah blah blah. I sometimes did with the cheaper meats, but more often than not, I didn't. My daughter was fine, I didn't have any issues with my pregnancy either.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 6:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Wow, after fur kids I'm learning I wasn't supposed to do something else! LOL I was so sick last time the only thing I could stomach was Subway. Like seriously, I worked next door to one for a year, I ate every day.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am trying my best to eat healthy and I only purchase antibiotic/hormone free turkey. I am having a hard time being able to stomach most foods (I am 9 weeks) One thing I crave the most is a big fat sandwich with turkey/cheese/cucumber/green pepper/sprouts/spinach/avacado/tomato on whole grain bread! lol. I wanted to see what other Doctors had to say as my last Dr. told me I can eat anything I want in moderation.
    jenellemarie

Comment by jenellemarie (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• am 24 weeks pregnant with my second, I ate lots of delli meat with my first she turned out fine, and i eat delli meat now, My doctor told me not to worry about it :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 7:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• eat wat u want a big fat sandwich was amazing while i was pregnant! but i LOVED chili dogs!!! i had 2 everyday for at least 2 months. hmm must be y i gained 60 pounds! lol eat what makes u happy and if u having morning sickness eat whatever wont come back up! my doc gave me the list and i never read it and my daughter is fine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• when I became a restaurant manager, I had to take a class called serve safe that explained how people, especially immunosuppressed people such as pregnant and elderly can get sick from undercooked delimeats. While it is possible the chances are very slim and it would only be because of a mistake in the packing process. if everything is correctly processed then you really have nothing to worry about. I am no doctor but I eat delimeat all the time and I dont heat it up.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I ate deli meat frequently. Your big fat sandwich sounds delicious and healthy if that is what your body is craving go for it!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My doctor said "no" unless I heat up the meat (which was fine with me because I much prefer hot to cold sandwiches).

There are only maybe 2500 cases of listeria in the whole US in a year, so it is very, very rare. But if you get it, it's really bad, especially for unborn babies. I think every woman has to- knowing those facts- make her own decision. I mean, we drive cars and that's dangerous, right?

Most listeria seems to be in meat, though it shows up in dairy too. I'd guess it's like e-coli. It is probably a sanitation problem somewhere back in the line, but you can't really follow your hot dog and know where it was raised and processed, you know? The big breakout in Canada the other year was in a nice deli meat- not cheap "no name" stuff. It seems to show up most in processed meats, but I don't have stats on which ones.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010