My daughter will be six next month, and still pee's the bed?

My daughter will be six years old and she still pee's the bed. I am not sure what to do. She wakes up with a full pull up on. My son that is fours years old, has no problem. I have tried to wake her up a few times in the night, and that does not seem to help. She is suxh a heavy sleeper. I don't think she really realizes that I wake her up. Any ideas on what do? Thank you anything will help.

dtkt

Asked by dtkt at 12:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't worry too much. Childrens body frames go faster than their bladders. I took my youngest to the doctor with that same concern. And they said that childrens bladders grow at a slow rate. So while her body needs the extra fluid to compensate for her growth, her bladder is still small. Although I did stop fluids 2.5 hours before bed time and made sure he went to the potty as much as he could. No worries
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Thank you for getting back to me. Yes I have tried the whole stop drinking thing and that didn't work. When should I worry?
    I wouldn't worry too much. Childrens body frames go faster than their bladders. I took my youngest to the doctor with that same concern. And they said that childrens bladders grow at a slow rate. So while her body needs the extra fluid to compensate for her growth, her bladder is still small. Although I did stop fluids 2.5 hours before bed time and made sure he went to the potty as much as he could. No worries
    dtkt

Answer by dtkt at 12:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I had a similar problem with my first child and did the following with her and to the other three shortly after I potty trained them. I would wake them up once during the night. After about 3 or 4 hours of sleep to use the bathroom. I made sure they were awake and used the bathroom theirselves vs me walking them there and helping them. It seemed to make them get used to waking themselves when they had to go.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 1:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I wish I had an age to tell you where you should worry. But it is a very common thing for children her age. More than likely she will out grow it but ask her doctor just to make sure.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My daughter will be 6 in 2 weeks and still wets the bed. It isn't a big deal. Some kids are just bed-wetters. My son still wets the bed and he just turned 7 earlier this month. He stopped wearing pull-ups over the summer but still wets the bed once a week or so (sometimes more).

They are both very sound sleepers. Their doctor said she won't worry about it unless they are over the age of 8 and still wetting the bed every night.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You can have her do kegals just like you. When she starts to pee (on the toilet) tell her to try to stop mid pee. Have her do this as much as possible.
    Me and my sisters all peed the bed until around 8 b/c of the muscles were not strong enough the doc told her to do this and it worked.
    Just like justanotherjen dont worry to much until around 8 if this doesnt work
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 3:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Oh boy, you've just described our life for the last several years! We use to get so frustrated. Do some research online for bedwetting and you will find some great resources. We asked the ped about it and she said they generally don't do anything until they are over 6 or 7 yrs old. Our dd is an extremely deep sleeper. I tried everything - rewards, discipline, taking her before we went to bed - seemed like nothing worked. When I get her up she is soooooo out of it and disoriented. Our ped said between 6 & 7 they generally change their sleep patterns so we've been working on that. (continued...)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Last Dec I started taking her every hr from 6 pm to midnight. It worked at first but I think every hr was too often and made her sick from exhaustion. So I started every hr and half to 2 hrs. Some websites say it doesn't help. I don't know if she would have just adjusted on her own or what but we are FINALLY at a point where I can take her at about 10:30 (after going to bed at 8-9pm, going potty before bed) and she will make it until morning. Up until about a month ago I was still taking her at 8pm, 10pm and midnight. She did fine from midnight til morning though on her own. We also limit drinks after supper. No drinks usually or just a sip.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008