Are you from India? Or know about their culture? If so I have questions..

We were watching Outsourced last night, I love the show its funny, but was wondering, do men really still talk down to women over there? Do they still do arranged marriages, and as far as being in a cast, how do they keep you from going up in a cast or down in a cast? Because I know youre like supposed to be in one cast when you are born. If youd like to elaborate on any of these subjects that would be awesome. I am so curious about the culture over there, I dont know why.

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't been back to India in 10 years, my inlaws do live in India, and my husband and I are both Indian-Americans (hate that term we are Americans of indian decent.. LOL)

1) Yes in many places and areas men do still talk "down" to women. They do here in some places as well. :-)
    2) Yes arranged marriages do still happen. Though today an arranged marriage isn't like it used to be. Old school arranged marriages happened and you didn't even see who you were marrying until the wedding. Now it's more like online dating in a way.. LOL Parents even put out ads to find mates, but most potential spouses now-a-days do have the final say in the match. So arranged yes, but not in the way they used to be.
    3) The caste system has been "outlawed' in India. However. You are talking about a way of life that has existed for THOUSANDS of years, and the caste system is even rooted in Hinduism.
    Cont................. Below.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Pixie trix, thank you for your insights!
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 10:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 3 cont) So many older generations do still cling to the caste system. Even some Indians who live here in the states (NRI's) and their Indian-American counter-parts still hold onto old caste system ideals in some ways. It's a very hard thing to get away from and out of. I married outstide of my caste. That was a very difficult thing for my grandmother when I married. I'm still married 25 years later..lol Some families do still look at caste when setting up matches as well. Like I said. Many do not agree with the caste system and do try to live a life without acknowledging it. But it does still very much permeate the culture/relgion/society.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh yeah.,.

In terms of the "Caste System". You do not go up or down. The caste you are born into does not change. You are what you are. And you are born into the caste of your parents, and your grandparents, and your great grandparents..and so on..

Just about every part of Indian society for thousands upon thousands of years has been based on the caste system. What clothes you wear, where you can live, what jobs you can hold, who you can marry, where you can eat, where you bathe...etc.. I mean most every part of society. Was ruled by the caste system.. All of those things were determined by your caste. You did not get a job outside of your caste, no one would hire you. You did not eat with thouse aboe or below you , you did not marry those above or below, you did not become educated outside of your caste leve. Society was built on and ran by the caste system. And the caste system was based upon religion.........
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I figured that.. :-)

Even the way women were/are treated stems from the caste system and ultimately religion. Originally, women were not allowed to read/learn even hear the Vedas.. Much less study them. So working, living alone as a single working woman,and many other modern ideas/images we have of "Woman" is really just now starting to begin in Indian society.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I also wanted to share this. The caste system goes all the way back to the "Laws of Manu"..

So. In more rural areas, the caste system is still very much alive and in effect. Many rural villages, are ran the same way and the peole live the same way they have for a thousand plus years. The caste system if definitely more open and blatently lived by in rural areas more so than in the larger cities. And even in the larger cities (Mumbai, New Delhi, Delhi..etc) it's still pretty obvious in some areas.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• COOL, I love learning about other cultures. This is such an informative post.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thank you so much for your reply!!! Sooo insightful!!! I didn't mean for my question about talking down to women as only Indian people do it, I know all sorts of people can and do do that.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So do they ask what caste you are from when you go to a job interview? How would they know these kinds of things about someone? Could you break free of your caste if you wanted to?
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Today.. No your caste can not be asked in a job interview or anything of the like. There are now laws in place in Indian that prevent discrimination based on caste. Much like we have discrimination laws here. But, much like here as well, those laws don't prevent all cases of discrimination.

These days in some ways it is a little harder to tell someone's caste just by looking at them. Some people judge caste in India these days, the same way class is determined here. Where does the person live, where did they go to school, what clothes do they wear, what do they do for a living..etc..etc..
    Of course the caste that is still obvious and is blatently and openly discriminated against are the"Dalits" or "untouchables".. This caste is still very much discriminated against and pointed out in Indian society. Even headlines will read "Dalit boy beaten do death".. Dalits/untouchables are the poorest of the poor.

Cont.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010