i need to stp breastfeeding, but not sure how to do it

my baby is 7 months old and its still pretty painful to nurse, some days are worse than others but it never feels as natual as it did with my other kids.

jmlewis

Asked by jmlewis at 6:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So, I am confused. What do you need advice on, how to stop breast feeding or how to make it not hurt??? :)
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 6:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well, I'd probably seek help before weaning, but assuming you've already tried to fix this, the best way to wean other then child led is to replace one nursing session per week with formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• since she is still so young try to switch one of her feedings from nursing to bottle formula and slowly keep moving her from nursing to bottle feedings
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 6:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• ya I've tried everything from nipple shields to creams..I'm sure its just the way he sucks.. i'll try the replacing one feeding with formula..Thanks
    jmlewis

Comment by jmlewis (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Have you seen an IBCLC or an LLL Leader? If you don't WANT to stop, they may be able to help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Nipple shields and creams can cause sore nipples. I've nursed 3 children and I don't know what you mean by feeling "natural." Either it hurts or it doesn't. If it hurts it can be fixed unless your baby has a birth defect (abnormal mouth or tongue) or has been given bottles and pacifiers. I agree with talking with a IBCLC or LLL Leader. If you replace a feeding it would be better to do it with formula by cup not bottle. I hope you are able to work it out and breastfeed for at least a year for your baby. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Do you think the problem could be tongue-tie?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You could always pump your milk and bottle feed. That is far better and cheaper then formula. Plus, you already have the supply.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Why do you need to stop?? Have you tried contacting a lactation consultant? Now that you're dealing with teething, you have new issues to deal with, and a lactation consultant can help you work through that and keep it from being painful. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010