Loss of vision when standing

When I stand up, I will take about three steps and then my vision goes black for a few seconds, then slowly comes back. I'm normally too busy to stop when it happens, so I end up losing my balance or walking into walls (lol). I've heard it's fairly normal, and it can be avoided by standing up slower, but with a two year old, standing up slowly isn't always a possibility. Any ideas why this happens and how to avoid it? I wasn't concerned but DH (who is ALWAYS healthy) said that it's not good or normal. Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• It's called Orthostatic Hypotension. Sudden drop in blood pressure. If your on any type of medications it could be a side effect of that. Probably is fine though. It can be a symptom of some medical problems, but probably you just need to stand up slower. This happens to me all the time. Was especially bad when I was on Tofranil (an antidepressant)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You blood pressure is dropping or spiking. Talk to your Dr a.s.ap about this before you fall down and hurt yourself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would call an optometrist or optholmolgist. I worked for an optometrist for 10 years. There could be many possibilites of what is going on. They could give you a better idea. I would not put it off. Your family physician could help also.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 12:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• This is not normal, you really need to see a doctor. This could lead to a stroke or bleed in your brain...no joke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It's just from standing up too fast, I do it all the time. Most of the time i'll stand up fast & then sit right back down because everything went black.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 12:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2008