How are you single moms doing it?

I've been struggling with my daughter, who is a single mom for over the past year. She found herself alone raising her two daughters and has been experiencing problems every since. I try to help her out as much as possible, but this past spring she got a DWI and I have been driving her everywhere, not wanting her to lose her job, her house, etc. Now, I am totally exhausted... both physically, emotionally and financially. I am totally maxed out. Sunlight is just around the corner, as she gets her license back this week and she was recently given a used van to get her around. But, I am still very concerned about how she's going to keep doing it. The kids are 6 and 2 and in daycare.

Anyway, how do you single moms do it? Bless your hearts, my heart and my congrats go out to you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• im a single mom to my 6 yr old daughter..things are ok, i guess..the only struggle i have is the financial aspect. im lucky in the sense that my mom babysits for me for free so i am able to work (i have 2 jobs) so thats one expense i dont have to worry about, but at the same time i still have bills, rent, groceries etc. and these last few months have been reallllly hard. we both need new running shoes, have for a while now, but with summer here it was ok, now its all rainy here, and yaa its not fun..and having to explain to her that she needs to wear the same halloween costume this year was hard to do..she was verry sad about that. so ya its tough. but..i do what i have to do, and thats all there is to it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You have a star in heaven. It's a great question and I too, applaud the single moms. I've never understood how they do it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• alot of patience
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Alot of patience and strength. I am single by divorce and it has been tough....but in many ways, it's easier--noone to answer to but myself. But as a single mom, you have to put it in your mind that you HAVE to succeed and that the kids ALWAYS come first. I don't know if your dtg is young-that might have something to do with her choices but she needs to "grow up" and realize that although it's great to have a supportive mom, she can't depend on that all the time. She has to step-up and make it work. She chose to have the babies right? Then she needs to find a way to raise them.
    Be supportive but also be firm in making sure you are helping her not doing everything for her. I know as moms we want to...but it's not helping her in the long run...
    Good luck...it won't be easy but she's very lucky to have a great mom! :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• alexi...have you tried craigslist...you should be able to snag a new (used) costume cheap for your dtg.....or one of those used clothing stores. Usually they are all in very good condition and very inexpensive.....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i havent tried craigslist, but i have tried the thrift shops here, and there really wasnt anything suitable..even the value village had ones but the cheapest one was $18.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm an only parent (since the death of my husband) and it's non-stop work. If I'm not at work, I'm doing housework or cooking or yardwork or something. Financially, we struggle a lot. It takes a lot of creative thinking and "making do". It's not easy, but it can be done.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010