Great housekeeping idea:) I will only pick up MY mess. haha

I must have missed the genetic code to take joy in house cleaning;) The second girls wanted to play house and babies, I was GONE.....out to play adventures w/the boys. It was a blast! Why would I want to pretend cook and clean, and have babies?????

So now I'm a wife and mommy. And the facts are....it's my job to provide meals and clean up the house. But I think there's a BIG difference between that and being everyone's slave. So I hereby declare....

I WILL do my duties such as cook, clean the pots and pans, and mop the kitch floor. But....I will only wash dishes that are scraped and brought to the sink.
I WILL do laundry- that which makes it to the laundry room. I will not pick it up off your floors or randomly dropped through the house.
If you open a package, clip your nails, finish off a bag of chips.....I will NOT pick up your garbage. I will literally sweep around it.

To name a few examples

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 7:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I volunteer 10 min of my time per person of picking up after that I consider it a job and expect to get paid (if they are helping me I don't start the clock though). We don't really have an issue with the dishes yet the kids will do anything to play with the water for a couple of min.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 1:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I won't live in filth just to prove a point.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That's how I do things.  I'm not my family's maid.  The kids are responsible for cleaning up their own messes.  I cook, usually clean up after dinner, load the dishwasher and do the laundry.  Because it's just easier for me to do those things.  I expect everyone else to keep their crap picked up and out of the main rooms, to make sure their dirty laundry is in the hamper (if it ain't I ain't washing it), put their dirty dishes in the sink, and help in any other way I need them to.  Like today I'm sick so my almost 8yo volunteered to clean the kitchen...twice.  I only asked her if she'd rather clean off the counters or sweep.  I was going to do the one she didn't want, but she offered to do both, then came back after lunch and did it again.  She is so helpful.  Now if only she would put that much effort into cleaning her room.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You are just teaching your family to clean up after them selves that is all.. But if they don't clean up after them selves, how long will theng pile up before you clean it up? Is your house a nasty mess?

Answer by louise2 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• ughh my so expects me to be able to work,take care of my 1 year old,and do the household chores on top of picking up after him (and of course my son but thats a given). He NEVER helps with any kind of household chore ever and throws a fit when I don't get it done.
    Jaydensmommy829

Answer by Jaydensmommy829 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• lol give everybody chores
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My point would be to have respect for others. Not expect people to do above and beyond their job day in and day out. But.....I also am one that returns the shopping cart, piles everything nicely on my plate for the waitress, If things get knocked over at store, I'll pick them back up, hang clothes back on hangers in fitting rooms. I don't just assume that it's their job, and feel that home life will spill out in public life good or bad.

So far it's working. I'll serve lunch. Start to place the plate on top of old breakfast plate..... and they say "Oh. Sorry" and quickly take care of plates w/out me asking. If they hear company is coming, esp. super clean Gma, they realize how embarrassing undies, toys, and empty packages are to have scattered, and scramble to pick up. Things are looking up;)
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Haha;) It's pretty good surprisingly... I think that's because I keep the general mess and things cleaned up. So the random piles of stuff don't add up too quickly. If I do have company, I quickly let them know my "theory" and they laugh and go home wanting to try it;)
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• at least your family will clean when company comes over, mines will just greet the company
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 2:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2010