Can someone tell me if I was wrong?

My family and I were at our county fair last Saturday night and it was so crowded, mostly with tweens and teenagers. In fact, I will never go again on a weekend night. My oldest daughter who is twelve, started out riding rides and having fun and then she stopped wanting to ride and acted really bored. She told me that she wanted to walk around with some of the kids her age, but I felt that she was too young to be by herself with it being so crowded. People were breaking in line and walking into each other and there is so much going on these days. Was I wrong to not let her go with her friends? I want to give her a little freedom and her to enjoy herself, but there is so much going on that I am very cautious.

huffmanall4

Asked by huffmanall4 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If it made you feel uncomfortable then you did the right thing.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think you were right....what I might have done is allow her to bring a friend so she would have someone to hang out with instead of just the parental units...lol.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm with you. considering a new FBI study concludes that five kids go missing a month in my area, I am not letting my kids out of my sight. We are in Seattle and are in the worst state for child trafficking (our huge ports make this a good place to smuggle kids). So no, she'll thank you when she's 25.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• NO my son is almost 12 and i would not be comfortable with it> good for you for sticking to your guns.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Your motherly instincts kicked in and you listened to it. You will find opportunities to allow her that bit of freedom. At a fair, it is extra crowded, too many things going on and very easy for things to go south. You did just fine.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• She is under 12. I would not let her go either. She is to young.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You did the right thing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree. I think 12 is too young. Esp. in such a crowded busy place.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 7:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not at 12, maybe 13 or 14 I would have allowed it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It was not wrong for you to do that there is alot of weird out here now the will take your kid and a heart you did the right thing she was to young to go off with her friend. But next time if you want to give her a little bit more freedom you tell her if i can walk behind then i will let you but you going to walk off then no.
    march3-2011

Answer by march3-2011 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010