how do you check your own cervix for dialation?

im 32 weeks and my stuff feels very weird but i dont go to the doc untill next week.....any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Stick you finger up there.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• think you need to have been trained to know. or else you wont know what your feeling for...just my opinion tho
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• u dont. thats the dr.s job!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Stick your fingers up there, if you can fit your finger tip in the cervical opening you are most likely dilated to a 1, if you can do 2, then your between a 2 and a 3. Be VERY careful because you can strip your membranes by being to rough. And trust me... that is more painful then childbirth.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh, and cervix checks don't mean a thing. Whether you are 1, 2 or none is no indication of when labor will actually start. So, I don't even recommend the doctor doing them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• if you have long fingers you can try to stick them inside really really deep and see if you can find your cervix but you probably cant find it...at 32 weeks ur baby has prob not dropped and your cervix will be far back towards your back and not flat like parallel to the floor but sort of angled or parrallel to the wall.....so you have to sort of reach WAY up and then curve around to the front....i could never reach mine and my midwife had a hard time too....she was actually sweating and out of breath afterwards from having to push up and in with one hand and pull my belly downwards with the other hand lol....if you do find it easily and it seems sort of low then you should get to your doc ASAP because at this point it should still be pretty far up there....GL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• seriously, this is not a job for you to do. if you are going into labor you will know it. you are quite pregnant right now and your body changes everyday. things are going to feel weird. dont mess around with things you dont know anything about!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• you dont. is bad and can lead to infection. besies you can be dialted for wks if not months and nothing will happen
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• As stated by others, cervical dilation means nothing and checking does no good, especially at 32 weeks. Though I disagree that this should be the dr.s job, you are used to your own germs and flora and are less likely to get an infection from yourself. If the situation called for it, I'd rather check myself than have a dr. do it.

At 32 weeks you may be starting to dilate but you'll also likely close back up. Our bodies like to go back and forth in preparation. I'm sure you're anxious but just trust that your body is doing what it needs to do and don't add unnecessary risk.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't because it could cause an infection. I would let your ob or midwife check.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010