Is it Ok for a 14 month old to sleep with a blanket? I'm looking for the ones that zipper up but most stop at 9 months thanks everyone for any help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as it is breathable. Don't use a bulky comforter or anything like that. As long as the child can move around it will be fine. However if you get one that is to big she could get caught up in it , which is why you want to make sure it is breathable.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I started letting my little one have a blanket as soon as she could roll over and turn and lift her head on her own but I used ones that were loosely crocheted with lots of holes in them LOL then again, I know kids who won't sleep unless their heads are covered and they are just fine too. I'd agree with the other answer, keep it light, keep it breathable.
    MRiverson

Answer by MRiverson at 1:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My kids have slept with a blanket since they came home from the hospital. They were swaddled in it until they were 5 months or so and then it was just tucked around them. My 2 1/2yo still uses it (it was a handmade quilt that belonged to my husband when he was a baby). Actually when she was a baby it was so freaking cold in our apt that she used to blankets (the quilt and a fleece one) along with her footie pajamas to keep warm.
    And my 6yo dd is one of those kids that has to cover her face...ever since she was a baby. People used to freak out about it but she would NOT sleep unless she had her blankie (a receiving blanket) over her face, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have 5 kids ranging from 24 yrs to 12 mos. I have put all of them in blankets. {gasp} people have wrapped their kids in blankets since before Jesus! We all survived! I know there is alot of pressure to put your kids in a bag with arms, but for real, would you sleep in a bag with arms? No! You'd use a blanket. Good luck to you Mom, trust your instincts!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• A friend crocheted us a great blanket as a gift—it has a loose weave, kind of big holes for air but still warm and cozy, so we don't have to worry about him suffocating or that type of thing. We've been using it on him since he was like 8 mos old and never have had a problem. Even ONCE it got wrapped around his head and upper body and he was fine b/c it had all the holes! But it still freaked me out a little but it was just once and he was FINE. LIke another poster said, 'people have wrapped their kids in blankets since before Jesus'! It just depends on the KIND of blanket. Use your common sense and instinct. Oh, and we have bumpers around our crib, too. And I consider myself an overprotective mom in many ways but these 2 things make sense to do/have, and I just use my common sense. Good luck
    mtnmom426

Answer by mtnmom426 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• my son is 14 months old and he has three different balnkets in his crib with im... the crib comforter... a little baby monkey and his blanky he carries everywhere... as long as he can pull blankets off like in peekaboo then i wouldnt worry about it... i had blankets in the bed when he was a new born and we ended up with a sids episode... so i stick to no blankets untill they can play peekaboo with out you.
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008