11 month old with top and bottom teeth biting while nursing

I am so frustrated and in such pain, I could handle the biting when she just had lower teeth because I could see it coming and slip out in time, but with her top teeth in now it's just unbearable. If I don't find a solution, the next question is how to transition her to formula or milk. She's never had a bottle and we cosleep and nurse to sleep so her world is going to be very very different.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would try giving her bottles of breast milk
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 8:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• there's an idea. I am wondering how much I can pump, last i tried it wasn't much.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have the answer. LOL Babies who bite are not actively sucking and therefore are not eating and must be put down. Just remove her from the breast and sit her down and walk away. The next time she bites, tell her no bite, sit her down and walk away and make her wait a little longer to nurse. It won't take but 3 times to put a stop to it. She will associate biting with no food and mom walking away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It's called "nursing etiquette". Teaching things such as not biting, not helping herself when out in public and many other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• that's also a fear that she's never taken a bottle and then starting her at bottles at 11 months would be strange, and we nurse laying down in bed so i would have to get out of bed, take her somewhere safe, set her down and walk away from there, that would definitely not help her go to sleep.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• The you take her off and say no bite and close you shirt and say no more.

And at her age a sippy or straw cup is a better option. LOL And pumping doesn't happen for ALL moms. Maybe it will for you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Pumping and bottle feeding sucks (LOL) and doesn't give the child all the benefits of breastfeeding. People that don't breastfeed offer the helpful suggestion of quitting breastfeeding whenever any breastfeeding question comes up. Humans wouldn't have survived if women couldn't figure out how to breastfeed until children were 3 or older and had lots of teeth. Obviously this is solvable. I nursed 3 children way beyond the recommended 2 years.

When your child bites pull them close into the breast so they have to let go. That should be all it takes. http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Keep in mind that baby can't bite when actively nursing. Watch for and learn when baby is going to bite and take her off BEFORE she does. The way to talk about the top teeth I wonder if it is really biting with them or if they are resting on and scraping the nipple? "Teeth scraping, uncomfortable latch, or indentations on your nipple tissue from the teeth is not all that uncommon. It seems to be worse for most moms right when the teeth first cut through, and before they have a chance to wear down some and become less sharp. Babies may also change their latch a bit when they get new teeth, as nursing can feel different to them with the new teeth." for tips on dealing with this go to When Baby Bites

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would tell my daughter, "NOBiting!!" and then stop the nursing session, put her on the floor and walk away for about 30 seconds to a minute. She didn't like that one bit. She stopped biting fairly quickly.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i re-read the kellymom articles on this, i had a bit of a problem a few months ago with this (like 6) but it hurts twice as bad with uppers and lowers that are razor sharp.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010