My 15month old just got first ear infection soooo sad I hope antibiotics work.... Feel sad

jomama2467

Asked by jomama2467 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they will be working very soon! dont worry!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It's so hard to get him to take medicine
    jomama2467

Comment by jomama2467 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My grandbaby had two last winter, the first time they worked in about 6-8 hours. The second time it took closer to 12-14.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Antibiotics are not necessary in most cases for ear infections. All it does id build up your child's resistance for when they do need them. They should only be given antibiotics if it is severe or persistent. Most ear infectiosn will clear up ont heir own with pain meds and TLC since most are viral. Resource, I mean other than my Ped.

Anonymous

• that baby antibiotic tastes good...mine never gave me a problem after they got a taste...taste some! its yummy...lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• you have to give the antibiotics cause they totally KILL and ZAP the germs in his ear. my son had almost consecutive ear infections whiel he teethedalmost til he was two!!! i used infants and then childrens tylenol/generic acetaminophen AND teethign tablets (the dissolvign kind) under the tongue not the kind that dissolve in a teaspoon of water who wants to do that every time., anyway he woudl have gotten tubes, but the infections healed between bouts. they say if they never heal up you need tubes in ears. TRY a sliding tube dropper dispenser for the medicine and get it in the back of his throat past wher ehe tastes. definitely tel lhim if you dont take this we have to go to the hospital... that worked fo rmy son. i also stod him you can do it! be a soldier! and then rewarded him if he took his medicine sort of bribe with candy or food after! and praise him!!! hug him too!! poor lil thing it is hard for babies in this world!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Are ear infections so common in kids and babies
    jomama2467

Comment by jomama2467 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yes extremely common. Their ear canals are straight across as opposed to an adult which is downward tilted so it drains better. The changes of ear infections decreases after age 6 or so. Constant or very frequent ear infections should be treated with tubes to prevent scaring but an ear infection here and there is normal can there is no need to jump on every one of them with antibiotics. My doctor will write a prescription and tell you to fill it if there is still symptoms after 3-4 days. Warm compresses elevated sleeping (a folded towel under the head of the mattress to give it an angle) and Tylenol.
    Anonymous

• My doc gave me a bottle of these ear drops for when my LO's get an ear infection. They're called Allergen Ear Drops and there's a numbing agent and a pain reliever in them. They are wonderful. I've even used them myself when I had an ear infection last winter. The pain is almost gone in an instant.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• thanks u guys are so helpful
    jomama2467

Comment by jomama2467 (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2010