My Husband is Currently deployed.. does anyone have any good recipes..

any good recipes for cookies or baked good to mail him while he is over there..He will be gone during the holidays and his birthday and i just want to express to him how much me and the kids love him and hes missed, and try to make him feel closer to home.. Does anyone have any good recipes they would like to share?

DiandraBryant07

Asked by DiandraBryant07 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't.. I am a horrible baker...I am sorry I can't help. Try allrecipes.com

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Pumpkin cookies...Mix a little pumpkin into your chocolate chip cookie dough and use white chips instead of milk chocolate chips! you'll also have to add like 1/4 tsp of ground ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves and 1 TBS Cinnamon
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Within the next month or so is the perfect time to send any chocolate type cookies. I normally get my recipes from allrecipes.com and tonight we made M&M cookies- http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Robbis-MM-Cookies/Detail.aspx. Also, for his birthday or anyother special occasions send him a cake in a jar- http://awtr.blogspot.com/2007/09/cake-in-jar.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• THANKYOU!!:)
    DiandraBryant07

Comment by DiandraBryant07 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Do you have a food saver? My mom bought one when my brother was in Iraq and packed everything in it (food stuff, plus a special blanket, lol). He said the goodies would arrive and taste fresh, not 2 weeks old. She didn't use any special recipes, just whatever she happened to have.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• BIL is in the gard so we make him a snack pack for every holiday. I have a dehydrator so I make beef jerk and cinnamon apple chips for him. It ships well.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• A food saver is great. I have one and send my BIL baked goods. He loves how fresh they are. I also use it to seal loose items. He likes the crystal light packs so I put them all in a bag and just seal it, making them flat and easier to pack. I think if you make his favorite baked goods, he will be very appreciative.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 12:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't have any great recipes. I just wanted you to know how Thankful I am for what your husband is doing!! Tell him Thank YOU from all of us!! :)
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I always sent my hubby rum balls when he was deployed and he and his friends loved them. Pack them in a tin and the longer they sit, the more rum flavor they have. It took about a month for them to get there when I sent them one time and they loved it.

1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup light rum
    3 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/8 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions
    In a large bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and cocoa. Mix in rum and corn syrup. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll in confectioners' sugar.
    Store rum balls in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days to develop flavor. Roll them again in confectioners' sugar before serving.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you send him cookies, Ive heard from other military wives/moms that if you stick a piece of bread in the container it helps keep them moist and also acts as a cushion for transportation.
    NalimalanisMom

Answer by NalimalanisMom at 11:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010