Castor Oil to induce labor? My midwife recommend it but I dont believe in it!

Thinking of taking it am 40 weeks and 2 days passed my due date and no contraction my midwife told me to take two spoons of caster oil but I don't think that work anyone took it before and when into labor?

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You will get the poops. It will only "work" if you are about to go into labor anyway. Walking and sex are better.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• it can put the baby under stress. I wouldnt do it.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• sex will work just as well lol you dont want to try that you will get the poops like crazy and throw up alott
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Okay, first of all... Just because you are at "40 weeks" doesn't mean you are even close to due... Due dates are complete guesses and can easily be up to 2 or 3 weeks off, even if you know the actual conception date, every baby needs a different amount of time. If you aren't closing in on 42 weeks, don't even try to rush things, your baby will come when your baby is ready. And, no, I have yet to hear of anyone who was actually able to induce with Castor oil...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was 12 days post-due date before my first was born. I tried spicy food, sex and walking but never castor oil or anything like that. I heard it can make you really sick and even harm the baby and it didn't sound worth it to me. Hang in there!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Do you know how castor oil puts you into labor? It gives you the shits so hard the cramps cause your uterus to start contracting, thus forcing you into a labor you're not truly ready for. Not to mention, since everything you take in goes to your body, it also goes to your body, and leads to the baby pooping in utero, which is super dangerous for the baby. I cannot believe a midwife would recommend using castor oil, it is not safe! Just don't do it!
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon. It is not a good idea. And this is what a MIDWIFE told you? Are you sure you trust her to help with the birth? Yikes....
    I wouldn't.
    See--THIS is why I had all three of my babies with Doctors in attendance, at a Hospital!
    Wow.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Tried it @ 39 weeks cramped and crapped for three hours straight and my son still held out for another 5 days. I would not reccommend it at all.
    ocielee

Answer by ocielee at 9:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This sounds like a medwife to me, she's obviously not trusting in your body. Is she attending you at home or in a hospital? I'd be wary of what other things she'd be willing to try when the time comes.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Castor oil gave my friend the worst case of diarrhea and her stomach cramped bad for hours

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2010