Picky eater and his milk: give in or hold out?

My picky toddler often finishes his milk or juice first, which could be hindering his desire to eat his food. Tonight (right now, actually) he is throwing a hissy fit because I took his milk away after a few sips because he wouldn't touch his food (pizza, which he requested). It's hard to reason with him because he's hysterical and won't listen, but I keep trying to tell him that he can have his milk back if he eats some of his food. Should I give him the milk to calm him down, or let him tough it out for a bit? (I have no problem letting him CIO. I'm older and much more stubborn!)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 9:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would do the same thing as you.. i would wait til he eats 1st.. just my opinion though.. he's gotta eat more! good luck! =)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would hold out. And I'm not a fan of CIO. I don't see the two as related. LOL. My cousin's kids are so picky it is ridiculous and I've always said I will NEVER have a kid that is picky like that. So I would hold out just so I'm not biting my words. LOL. I would be perfectly fine with my daughter going the whole meal without eating. 20 minutes after dinner when she's hungry, I would offer her uneaten dinner, again. She won't starve herself.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This is a common issue with my son. He doesn't seem to want to eat but he will drink his entire cup and then want more but wont touch his food. So he doesn't get his drink until he eats some of his food. I say hold your ground and don't give in.
    erinbills

Answer by erinbills at 10:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Give in now and you'll be giving in forever - do you want an 18yo demanding you make him his lunch? Stick to your guns mama, or it'll never end.
    Anonymous

• You're setting your child up for an eating disorder. YOU give him the juice and milk with the meal, then get upset when he drinks the beverage before the food? Give him the meal FIRST. Then the beverage.
    Anonymous

• Thanks all! Sure enough, he calmed down after a while and didn't resist the food. :)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Give him water instead. Kids actually don't need milk or juice if you can get him to eat other foods instead. They DO however need water. So, next time, sit a healthy meal in front of him with a cup of water. See what happens. Milk and juice should be the treat after he eats his healthy food and drinks his water.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Let him cry it out! My son used to be the same way. Doc told us to take milk down to only meals and have a strict eating schedule. I did that and now my son eats wonderfully!
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Food first. You can also only give him a little bit of fluids to drink with his meal so he has something to "weash it down", but filling up on liquids can cause him not to get enough. Hold your ground mama :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• let him cry it out, and leave the pizza for him to eat out. When he's hungry he'll eat. After he eats give him his bottle and he'll get over it. I'm not sure of his age, but after about 18-24 months I gave my daughter either a cup with lid and straw with dinner with a SMALL amount of juice or milk and then she would get her sippy AFTER dinner. (A little milk/juice/water is fine with dinner you just don't want them to spoil their appetite with it)>
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010