Is it wise to start out a real estate career by

accepting a position as a receptionist in the office? I have passed the courses and the exam. In this particular position I would be able to learn the entire business and eventually try to get investors... It's a Property Management Company.

Or, would this be wasting the time I could be actually working in the real estate field?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am in the real estate business and was just recently licenesed after being in project sales for 25 years. There is so much to learn and I think it is a good idea to start out as a receptionist if you have the opportunity. At least you are making money while getting "on the job" trainning. You will make good contacts and learn from others mistakes. It is a very expensive business to get into.
    Homesafaris

Answer by Homesafaris at 12:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Honestly right now in today's economy it would be a waste of time. It's a good idea but I would wait till things get better.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would accept the position as a receptionist in the office. At least until the housing market picks up. That way you have a guaranteed job and pay but you are still learning about the industry.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes, it would be a wise thing to do and a very good way to know the business aspect.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• it never hurts to get more experience and time to learn from someo.ne else. I don't think it hurts to work as a receptionist for a little while
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 2:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'd take the job as receptionist. With the economy so bad it is better than nothing and you can see first hand about the business.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• There was a time when it was great and the money was to live for. I have friends who are doing it and who have already had to go into a new line of work. People are hanging on to their homes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to learn it, just in case things turn around. But as far as getting raises, having a 401K, insurance, and a step up in the corporate ladder. Not the best of choices.

Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 2:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010