Should a 10 year old be left to babysit a 8 and 4 yr old so his parents can go out?

2-4 times a week.

anjuliesmom

Asked by anjuliesmom at 10:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• no parents should never leave there 10 alone with that kind of responsibility! A child that age is not aware of all dangers that there are. It's not even fair to the child, what if something happens to one of the kids and they are harmed physically. That child will have to live with that for the rest of his life. I mean think about it, is it worth it to go out and enjoy your self while your kids are taking care of them self alone...are they really only watching t.v? Oh! OMG and to have a 4 yr. old there pretty much alone. My girl was into everything, and loved to go out side. She tried many times to sneak outside to play. It's just not worth it!
    princessbabies

Answer by princessbabies at 4:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No. A 10yr old doesnt have the mental capacity to handle a true emergency. I dont care how "mature" they may seem..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• NO, 10 is way to young to babysit!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No, no, no!!! That is still too young, and especially with an 8 year old that probably wouldn't listen to him. A 4 year old is still pretty "high maintenance" for a 10 year old to deal with.
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No, but it isn't necessarily illegal....and it should never be 2-4 nights a week!
    kraziandkoul

Answer by kraziandkoul at 10:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No way! Too overwhelming for a 10 year old
    mammamia48

Answer by mammamia48 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Here in Virginia it is illegal for a child to be alone in a home if somebody is not over the age of 14! You can't even stay in the home by yourself until you are 12.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 10 is way too young to have responsibility of his siblings. My son used to stay alone when he was 9 or 10, however I did not expect him to watch his sister who was 6. My daughter went to the babysitter just a few doors down, so if DS had problems he could go there for help. He felt he was too big to go to a sitter and he was a very responsible kid and it worked for him.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 10 is a little young in my opinion. maybe 12 would be ok.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Ten is too young. I'd like to know what the parents were thinking. That's along the line of neglect. Not to mention that a 10 yr old is still a child himself.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010