I am so upset with myself

I just came home from dinner with a friend... My babysitter who we've used 5 times was watching my 1 and 7 year old and my fiends 3 year old...shes always been great. Tonight we got home and she was on her phone and the kids were running wild...to top it off she continued to talk on the phone for 5 mins after we came in and barely even gave an excuse!!!! I am so angry with her but even more angry with myself for not yelling at her for not taking good care of our babies. I feel like i let them down somehow because i didnt call her out on it....i will NEVER call her again but do you think I should email her and tell her how mad i am? Or take my husband up on his offer to call her tomorrow and yell at her? My one year old was sitting alone on the couch in the living room and she was standing outside the front door!! She cant get off the couch on her own, its a miracle i came in when i did. I am so upset.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the girl's always been a good sitter before this incident, you should CALMLY call and talk to her. Let her know that using her phone instead of taking care of your kids is not acceptable and you're not sure you'll be calling her again to babysit. Give her a chance to learn from this experience. Better to lose a babysitting job than get fired from her first real career position.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That's the thing, she's not a 'girl'...she's a grandmother! She should know better!!!
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No need to yell. Just calmly call and and explain you'll no longer use her service since she rather talk on the phone then watch your kids and that's not what's she being paid for. If you husband yells at her you might have a chance og her parenting calling you and yelling and a big fight starting.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• oh she's not a girl, opps just calming explain you no longer need her services
    mommy_of_two388

• I would have said something. I know @ the time it seems really uncomfortable to do so while shes in your presence- but those are YOUR babies. You pay her to keep them safe, not talk on her phone.

She must be pretty stupid-she wasnt even smart enough to play it off & say I had to step outside bc my dad called & the kids were yelling and i couldnt hear him ect..

Id call her tomorrow & let her know that you are disappointed in her behavior & to not expect a call back.. maybe youll save her from ignoring someone elses babies.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would simply tell her she is to irresponsible to babysit your kids. Yelling won't phase her probably, as she obviously could care less.
    mammamia48

Answer by mammamia48 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thanks all! I just emailed her (this is how we usually correspond).... I do feel a little better and i hope it makes he take her job more seriously....
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I definately would not use her again, especially after your email. If she irresponsible this time, her being chastised may not improve her demeanor.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 11:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You can't go back and change what happened. I know you are upset, but it won't do either of you any good. I just wouldn't call her to babysit anymore. You need to take some time and cool off over what has happened. Give it a few days. I wouldn't say anything to her unless she asks you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2010