Suggestions on getting rid of the pacifier

Sheri Y.

Asked by Sheri Y. at 10:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i took it and never gave it back...little ones are very easy to distract
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sounds crazy but cold turkey it, Just tell your child you can't find them. That is what we did and i think 1 or 2 days it was done and over with, Good Luck momma i know it can be stressful.
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have 2 suggestions. The first one is the pacy fairy. You and your child gather up all of the pacy's and put them in a small gift bag and hang it from a tree. The next morning, the bag of pacy's will be gone but a special toy for a big girl/boy will be there. Make sure to explain before hand about the pacy fairy and that the pacy fairy will be taking the pacy's to babies who need them. Keep telling your child what a big girl/boy they are. The next suggestion is to get rid of all the pacy's except for one. That that one pacy to a Build a Bear and place it in the animal of their choosing. Tell them that when they want their pacy they can hug their new friend. Again, tell them what a big girl/boy they are.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Cold turkey...it is a couple days of hell...but then its over.
    kraziandkoul

Answer by kraziandkoul at 11:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• cold turkey didn't work for my DD... trust me after a WEEK- TWO WEEKS of her crying over it non stop, and not sleeping because if it.. yeah, not healthy for her or me or anyone.
    We tried to poke a hole in the top but that didn't bother her.
    We tried having her throw them out saying "big girls" dont use them.
    or the paci fairy, but they didn't work eithre.
    The only thing that has worked even a little is to cut it down little by little each day. Right now she's down to just at bed time and if she's sick. Or going someplace she really dislikes, (like her grandfathers, because there is NOTHING to do there, long story).
    Once she's asleep I normally take it away again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'm not saying those suggestions don't work for other people and their kids(i've seen them work which is why we tried them), but if you have a paci baby like mine it's going to take A LOT of patience.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010