My puppy won't quit peeing in the house and I am SOOO over it! Help!

So we just got this puppy a week ago and were told he was 'nearly housebroken' and that was soooo a lie! lol We've got him to where he isn't pooping in the house now but he is still peeing. And it's not on a schedule or anything. I take him out almost every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and he goes pee just fine outside but inside he goes all the time. sometimes it's right after we come inside, sometimes right before we go outside, sometimes whenever! There's no pattern, no routine, no nothing. We bought this urine powder that dries up through the carpet and it was gone in a day and a half. He was really sick (had worms and didn't know it til a few days ago probably had them since before we got him too poor guy) and I was hoping now that he's getting better it would be easier to train him. Someone mentioned cedar chips. I have pee pads and he won't go near them. Any suggestions that don't involve tying him to me? (Have a 2 yr old)

MayMommaToBe

Asked by MayMommaToBe at 10:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pets

• I understand!! I had to get my pup dewormed because the people we got him from didn't take care of the pups enough to make sure they was healthy and house trained when they sold them. As for a peeing pup, they will learn but it takes time and a lot of patience. I still have to keep an eye on my dog and he is 3 years now. The best thing to do is catch him before or during the act. Give him a good yell or clap your hands. If you catch him in the act and scold him, he will know exactly what you are giving him heck for. Then take him outside. If it's after the fact, it's too late to scold him. He won't know what he did wrong. But you still take him immediately outside even after he pees in the house. This seems to be the best way to housetrain. It's a bad idea to put papers down for them. That just gives him permission to pee inside. And at night put him in a kennel or small room. He won't pee in or near his own bed. Good luck
    sweetlyblissful

Answer by sweetlyblissful at 11:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I read here once a few months ago about a woman who had trouble with her dog peeing inside only. The dog refused to use the bathroom outside. One night she too the dog out, it was cold, and she really had to go to the bathroom. She waited 20 min. for the dog to pee, but it refused to. Finally she couldn't hold it any longer and peed outside. The dog came over, sniffed, and peed where she did. BINGO!!! Now the dog finally uses the bathroom outside. LOL Weird dog.
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Our basset did that too, peed as sonn as you brought her in from outside. Make sure there is no infection first, then it is all on you.
    Take hi out every half hour and Praise and Treat him beyond normal when he does go outside.
    We use crate training. They are in crate or outside in the fence when not being supervised. They sleep in crate, stay in crate when we are not home or not watching them. My dogs love the crate, it is a space that is theirs, where they feel safe. One of my dogs stays in it whenever she is just lieing around. It sits in the kitchen(black wire fold up cage) she can see us and still be safe.
    As puppies, if I took them out and they did not go potty outside, they went back in the cage or was held. I never use puppy pads, they are confusing. Have him fixed. It takes a while for them to be able to hold it, just like human babies. Good luck!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• oh you poor thing, I lived this nightmare too. Have you ever heard of crate training? I know you will get lots of good advice from the gals about crate training and how it works. As for the carpet, we had to bring in a professional service to clean it,,there was just no way around that smell. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• we put him in a little nylon pop up kennel at night in our room so he doesn't pee at night. he wakes us up when he has to go but it's during the day that he's uncontrollable. what is crate training?
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Crate train!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cratetraining.htm

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

We are crate training our two newest puppies, and have successfully trained our older dog (she was trained within a couple months).
    The only thing I don't really like is they seem to get too used to the crate, and prefer to be in it more often, but I guess it is better than dealing with accidents all day long.
    kraziandkoul

Answer by kraziandkoul at 11:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You can't potty train a toddler in a week in a half. Why would you think you could potty train a dog in that time? Watch him like a hawk. Catch him in the act. Distract him with a loud NO NO. Tell him GO OUTSIDE. Praise him & give a treat when he goes outside.

If you can, take a urine sample to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• caret train or get puppy pads and everytime you see him sniff put it on it, and this is nasty but it works if he poops pick it up and put it on the pad, it makes them understand that thats where they need to go potty
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• motherofhope,
    I have actually potty trained several toddlers in a week and a half, thank you. Believe it or not, but some of them are actually smart enough and ready to be trained in short periods of time. But I wasn't thinking I could potty train the puppy in that amount of time, I was just asking what steps to take because I am aware that people and dogs are different.
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010