How do I take a binky away? She is 3 and only uses it for sleep in her bed

anjuliesmom

Asked by anjuliesmom at 10:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my odd was the same. I gave her a teddy bearand told her its name was binky bear and it was there to replace the binkys at night. I took the binys away and she slept with her brand new teddy after that with very little problems.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Use a reward system. She gets something in the mornings when she doesn't use her binky. My aunt used skittles (yes, I know it's not technically ok to give sugar in the mornings, but it was ONE skittle), a friend uses money that her daughter gets to put in her piggy bank. We used stickers. And make a really big deal out of it when she goes without. Like "YAYAYAYAYAYA!" lol You can also try substituting it with a special Lovee or something.
    And, I know this sounds cruel, I also had a friend who just threw them all away. There are so many articles online about how to ween children from binkies. Good luck! Just remember it's for the best!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 10:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Try a binkie bear. Take her to build a bear and let her choose a special 'bear' to put her binkie in. Then she'll still 'have' her bink, but not to put in her mouth.:)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Just stop providing it.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I stopped using one with my son around 5 months because I did not want him or I to be dependent on it for soothing and he never missed it, but obviously you are way past that. I did see on Supernanny once though that Jo had the parents make a big deal one night about having the child put all their paci's in a jar and telling them that they were going to go to other babies that needed them because the child was a big girl now and did not need them anymore. I think there was something about a paci fairy who would deliver them to the babies too, and they put the jar in view of the child somewhere. Than you would just need to make those paci's disappear and maybe leave a little treat in the jar, like money or a toy or something as a reward for the child donating their paci.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my dd was almost 3 when i took it away. it was cold turkey it was 3 nites of hell but it went by fast.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Try cutting off the tips of all of them and don't buy her anymore. Just tell her that the binkies go away when you turn 3.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 2:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my dd is the same way, and none of the other tricks worked.. and after one to two weeks of cold turkey all day and night crying it's obvious that that wasn't going to work either.

Right now she only gets hers right before bed and we take it away when she goes to sleep (or if she is sick or like situations).

I'm HOPING that when her new baby sister comes in 9 more weeks that we can let her play big sister and give them to the baby instead since she likes being the "big sister" and helping me around the house. (Big girl trick didn't work, but maybe when she see's the baby that might be different).

Anyways you can try something like that, maybe not with a sibling, but a cousin or friends baby.. let me know how it works lol
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010