What does a clogged milk duct feel like?

And how can I tell (without having to go to the doctor) if I have one? Can anything be done for it?

sandrizzle

Asked by sandrizzle at 10:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It hurts really bad, can be red and warm but mostly that's only if it's infected. Massage it as your baby nurses, apply heat for 15 minutes at a time every hour or so. If you start running a fever and it gets warm to the touch it is probably infected and will need antibiotics. Heat and massage while nursing should clear it in 2-3 days.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It's painful. The area will turn red and be warm to the touch. Let your baby nurse from that side that helps the most. Also warm compress before baby nurses. I had a really bad one and they gave me an antibiotic for the nausea and told me to lwet my baby fix it. I massaged and pumped cause the pain was really bad.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Actually, that first answer is pretty much right on. I had a couple when I was nursing so I let my baby nurse mostly from that side while it was clogged. It was sore but wasn't as painful as some of the other moms said it was when they had one. I used a warm compress to help soothe it also. I would rub it GENTLY while nursing. It looks and feels like a lump or a hard knot. Good luck! xoxo
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 10:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I had one a couple of months back. It hurt really bad, but the area never got warm or red looking. I just felt like I was really engorged in one spot for several days. I let DD nurse as much as possible from that side. I also would do cold compresses. At night, I give DD a shower with me before she nurses before going to bed, and I would get the water really hot and stand in it for a few minutes after she got out.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i agree with the top 2. they do hurt. i ended up quitting breastfeeding bc i couldnt cope with it anymore...good luck i hope it gets better for you =)
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010