What the hell can I do to make me feel more attractive?

I am hitting 42 in a couple of weeks, carrying around more weight than I like and I think I need to do something. A new hair cut, make up advise, any ideas or suggestions?

spencersgirl

Asked by spencersgirl at 1:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Exercise always makes me feel better about myself...It's just hard to get up and make myself do it. But after i'm done it makes me feel so much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have a suggestion!!! I just finished reading "One Tough Mother" by Julie Barnhill. It's a book about the challenges of motherhood and not taking yourself so seriously. I highly recommend it! There is a section in the back that addresses EXACTLY your question.
    Just a preview... one of the things she suggests is buying some sexy red underwear, and secretly wearing it under your clothes. It makes you feel sexy, and you act more sexy, which makes you feel more sexy..... see where this is going? lol...
    Check it out.. it's worth it!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Girl do all the above... Whatever you can to make your self feel better! I am 44 and speaking from experience, sometimes it is necessary to be selfish and think of yourself. We have spent so many years caring for our children before ourselves.. now it's time to get out there and enjoy your life! Go get a new hair do.. get your hair colored... get a manny and a peddy... go shopping... Heck, if I were close to you, I would say let's go together!!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Go get a free makeover, sometimes some new tips make you feel fabulous, go through your closet with a friend and have her put outfits together that flatter you (one of my favorite things to do) and then write down things to add into your closet, the season "must have's", upload a photo to one of those websites and choose a new hairstyle, then skip to the local beauty school and have one of the more senior students do it, actually heck, spend all day there getting mani/pedi/hair/waxed, lol! It's way cheaper and you'll be helping students with their hours!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Change the wardrobe. Looking good can also make you feel good about yourself. I am 48 and it took my 19 year old to say that to me. She said "ma, just because you are almost 50(ugh) doesn't mean you have to dress old" you talking about a slap in the face from someone who always tried to look nice at work. Anyway, I changed my wardrobe. Cover up things you don't want to be seen, etc. dress to impress! And walking is one of the best exercises going. Its good for taking off weight, its good for your heart, and most important, its good for a good night sleep.Go slow with everything!
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Boy do I feel where your at! 48, kids in college, unmarried, and work from home! Its hard to keep the self esteem working...I do off the wall, spur of the moment crazy things. Last week after the kids left for classes, I drove to a little tourist town about 45 minutes away & spent the day window shopping and visiting with the locals. Little things make you feel better, appericiate it and keep growing. I do have to practice what I preach, believe me it easier said that done most of the time. We get into a rut and cant seem to find ourselves free of it once we inhabit it. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Start from the inside............sure loose weight, you can do that, but, beauty comes from with-in.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I hear ya. Exercise does make me feel a lot better. I hate doing it, but once I do I feel great. I have friends who keep me accountable for exercising. Getting a new hairstyle is a great idea. Treat yourself to some new makeup. Ditch the t-shirts (if you wear them) and get some v-neck's...even if they are t-shirt v-necks. I'm not talking low-cut but just something where you can add a cute necklace. Get yourself a pair of funky earrings. It will be fun.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 8:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm only 25 and until I went back to working outside the home last month I was definitely looking like a has-been mom. Just having to dress like a woman, HAVING to do my hair and make up, HAVING to get out of the house and talk to other adults really made me look and feel a lot better about myself!! Since I'm pregnant, I did have to go out and buy a few new things to wear...some versatile basics...a few things I could mix and match. When I was done, I felt and looked my age again and it did wonders for my mood and self esteem like "I can still put myself together and survive in the real world"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Go get you hair done nails and toes done and a couple of new outfits. Treat your self to some nice things. If you was my mom I would take good care of you my mom is 41 and I make sure she keeps her hair and nails done so she can feel good about her self!
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 9:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2008