i need 2 know how 2 increase my milk supply. my daughter is now 9months and i want 2 continue breastfeeding for at least 3 more months.

i can only pump an ounce each breast every 3 hours...i even baught an electric pup hoping 2 get more but havent/..

hunniebunnz69

Asked by hunniebunnz69 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk is usually produced on a "supply and demand" basis...the more often you pump/nurse, the more your body will make...usually.

Try pumping for short intervals between the times that you usually empty your breasts. This should cause you to produce more milk after a few days or a week.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• ...even if you don't get results from pumping (no milk comes out) you should still pump....I suggest pumping for five to ten minutes on each breast every hour or hour and a half.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Have you tried taking Fenugreek as a supplement? My milk supply dropped about a month ago because I was stressed, and between pumping more frequently and taking Fenugreek, my supply came right back. The Fenugreek gets kind of annoying because you have to take a LOT of it (like 12 capsules per day), but it seemed to help, and was recommended by my lactation consultant.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I tried a pump and it was odd and uncomfortable. I told my husband i felt like i was being milked like a cow. LOL My mother who has 5 children told me the best way to get more milk out is to do it by hand. I know that may sound odd, but hey u wont know if it works or not till u try it. I also could only get about an ounce out with a pump, but when i did it myself i could get about 2 or 3 ounces from each breast.
    Texasmoma708

Answer by Texasmoma708 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Eat lots of oatmeal, and try the fenugreek. Nurse more often and pump after you lo is done nursing tells your body that you need more milk! Also the amount you are able to pump is not your true milk supply, babies are much more efficient. If I were to pump I get like an ounce maybe, yet my lil one at almost a year is still almost exclusively breastfed she gets plenty!
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Beer - I know it sounds weird but really beer. Just a couple of sips a day... it helped me a lot. At first I thought my nutritionist was nuts. But it actually worked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• eating oatmeal is really good for your milk supply. there's also "mothers' milk" tea you can drink. you can get it at a natural food store.
    purecity

Answer by purecity at 2:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Alcohol does not increase milk production. In fact, babies nurse more frequently but take in less milk in the 3-4 hours after mom has had a drink, and one study showed a 23% decrease in milk volume with one drink. Your breasts just FEEL fuller when in all actuality they are just a bit swollen. One study showed changes in the infant's sleep-wake patterning after short-term exposure to small amounts of alcohol in breastmilk -- infants whose mothers were light drinkers slept less.Daily consumption of alcohol has been shown in the research to increase the risk for slow weight gain in the infant. Daily consumption of alcohol (1+ drinks daily) has been associated with a decrease in gross motor development in infants.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Is your daughter soley breastfed? Are you saying that you only pump 2 ounces before she feeds or after? Some people will not let down for a pump as well as they do for their baby. The best way to know how much milk you are producing is to do a "feed and weigh". Weigh the baby directly before a feeding and then directly after to see how many ounces she gains. That way there is no guess work about how much milk you have.

My milk supply was horrible to keep up. I had to feed every 2 hours and pump for 15 min directly after feeding. I also took Domperidone which worked wonders and completely saved my milk!! I battled my milk supply for a long time and talked to lots of people and did lots of research. Send me a message anytime.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2008