i have an infection in my c-section and they gave me pain killers and antibiotics, is that safe while breastfeeding?

The meds are ibuprofen 800, sulfameth, tylenol #3 w/codeine, and oxycodone.

AmandaMWright

Asked by AmandaMWright at 10:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know ibuprofen is safe, the others I am not sure. If they knew you were breastfeeding before they wrote the prescription they would have taken that into account, but there is also a list of safe medications on http://www.kellymom.com/.

rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Those are all safe. The oxycodone and T3 both release into BM, but in such small quantities that you shouldn't notice any abnormal sedation. What's more, opiates themselves aren't generally dangerous in limited, medically supervised quantities, so there is very little risk of any long term damage.
    The one thing to look out for, however, is that opiate allergies are fairly common. I don't actually know if those type allergies are present from birth, but it's something to bear in mind for the infant.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yeah I had that too, I hope you don't get a breast infection as well. I did. OH MY GOSH! The pain between the two about killed me! Good luck
    KarineLynn

Answer by KarineLynn at 11:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• YES!!!! Both are ok! Good luck with healing.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• All of those are considered safe with breastfeeding. Try taking some probiotics, too, to keep your intestinal tract running smoothly (so to speak). Baby may have some diarrhea, because the antibiotics DO pass through the milk, which kills off some of the normal intestinal flora. They will regrow after you finish the antibiotics, so don't worry too much about that.
    I hope everything heals up nicely! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes, these are all considered safe while nursing. Wondering though, why they gave you codiene AND oxycodone. Weird IMO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2010