Have any of you all come to the conclusion that the people that you thought were friends are merely associates?

I have had to let go of 2 friends because they have not been very supportive. I think back to the times when the both of these women were having family and/or boyfriend problems. I was always there for them if to do nothing but lend a listening ear. Now I am the one thats going through things and they are no where to be found. They don't return my phone calls and persist in either texting me or sending messages on facebook. I don't want to sit at my cell phone or computer and type up what I am going through. That's too time consuming and not to mention impersonable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I have noticed the same things happening in my relationships in the past few years. I am not sure if its a moral or a stronger value of friendship on our part. I spend countless hours thinking about this and getting upset, but I think its just life. I believe we all just deal differently with situations. And we obviously hold our friendships on a different level. I personally would be there for my friends at anytime for any reason, but most of my friends get caught up in their lives and don't think the same way as I. This situation has actually caused me to get closer to my sisters...have u tried that?
    gwelburn

Answer by gwelburn at 11:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Many of the good friends I had in high school are like this. When I moved away and lost contact, I think I also lost some good time. After getting back in touch via Facebook, things seem to have changed a lot and we're just not close anymore.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yep and I now have become very picky on who I help and who I don't!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• soo many people out there that are all about themselves, I too have tht prob. i'm always there for everyone but the one time i need my friends they don't have time for me ...it was a real eye opener!!!!!
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Same here, I've actually lost one friend because it got to be all one-sided. I think you get to a point where it's exhausting to be the only one really making an effort anymore. It's kind of sad but I think that's when you learn who your real friends are and who you can really depend on.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010