How old were your kids when they started using the computer?

How old were your children when you started letting them use the computer...for things like nick jr games or coloring pages?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 11:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• 2ish.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my oldest is 9 and uses the computer. she started at 8. my 5 yr old uses it too, with help of course. but my 9 yr old does it all by herself. she knows what is wrong and ok to look at. i completely trust her
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son just turned one and thinks he can use the computer. When he gets within reach, he runs his fingers all over the keys like he's trying to type.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My 6 and 7 year olds can navigate the facebook games, install and play the kids games, and pretty much just get into whatever on the computer. They have to be watched closely. They each have their own computers.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 2! My kids have their own little computer that sits right next to ours. We're about to install filters on it that only allows certain sites
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I worked from home a lot when my kids were infants. They were often on my lap or shoulder while I dealt with an email or something work related. At 6 months my son had a todder key-board that sat over the regular one. If he smacked a key on that thing there'd be some reaction on the screen - a dancing bear going by, a song by a rabbit. He loved pushing those buttons. By the time he was a year old he'd play Elmo's letter game: every key on the keyboard caused a related action on the screen. Press the K button and Elmo would fly off holding onto a kite or B would be Elmo throwing a ball. At a year and half he was using the mouse like a pro. DD followed a similar pattern. Now at 8 and 6 they are totally computer literate. They only access the Internet where I can see them. They also like to type made up stories on MS Word. :) Its' a great skill to learn!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My kids were about 5 years old.
    T-Baby911

Answer by T-Baby911 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• They learned to use the computer in kindergarten so 5-6 years old.  At home they aren't allowed to touch it.  They are 10, 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My 5 year old uses the computer daily for school and learning games,hes been playing games and workingonline since he was 3 and can run some of the games better then I can. Hes restricted to approved sites only. My just turned 3 is now using it as well
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2010