Do you Buy your teenager their 1st car or do they buy their 1st car?

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It is better for them if they save up for one, you can help with half.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I drove my mom's car until i got a job then my parents helped me ge a loan for my first car but I had to pay for the insurance and everything else. I think it depends on the kid some will be responsible, others will take advantage of it or won't take care of it if you buy it for them. Our family didn't have enough money to buy cars for us so both my brother and I paid for ours.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i stared saving when I was 13 and bought it myself. I plan to do the same for my son
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No way do we buy a vehicle for a kid. They won't treat it the same if their own money is invested. We offered a chance to match funds..but that was it. One took advantage, one didn't.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We bought our son his first car-best investment we have ever made! (he is 15 and works on it ALL THE TIME-its a great hobby!)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• well i'll buy them a car that is about as crappy as can be while still runs great and if they want a nicer car they can get a job and save just like everyone else to buy it themselves
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 11:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• as long as they are doing good with there lives, i will buy there first car.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't even have my own car, why would I buy one for my kids?

My parents never did that.  We were a 1 car family when I was a teen.  All 4 of us shared the car (my parents, me and my brother).  I didn't have a car until I was married at 23 and then it was shared with my husband.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i think if they are good kids and have good grades then the parent should reward them with there 1st car...its all in what they earn
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think you help them by putting some money in as a birthday or graduation present but you don't buy them the car.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 1:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2010