should you be paid to babysit for a week you didn't babysit if the parent decided to take off that week with her husband...and they get paid?

Especially bothered since I'm saving them over 300 a month ...and they're shopping, going to dinner while I'm barely making it on my own as a single mom with more than a couple kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes!! my first born went to a babysitters house and we had to pay rather they were their or not for the week. it works the same way at a daycare. you have to pay for the week regardless, just to keep your spot. so why shouldnt you be paid. this is your income. next time dont give them a choice.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It depends, what is the prior agreement?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Like the pp said, what's in your agreement/contract? My babysitter gives us a certain amount of days per year that we can take for vacation or whatever and not pay her. We get 2 weeks and she takes 2 weeks, so basically she ends up with 4 unpaid weeks per year if we all take our days. That was in the agreement we signed when we started sending our oldest to her almost 3 years ago. Now, I know in some cases, especially with daycare centers, you pay no matter what (basically reserving your child's spot while they're gone). If you didn't set down guidelines when you started watching the child, then I can understand where she might think she doesn't have to pay you while her kids are not in your care.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Normally I would say yes but it depends on whether they gave you adequate notice. In daycare if you give notice 2wks in advance, you usually don't have to pay for that week.
    But if not then I would ask for it for sure!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 11:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This should have been addressed in your contract (or written agreement)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2010