Do you read journals that look like they might contradict something you believe in?

I recently wrote a 4 part journal series on evolution, and was surprised not to receive any comments from people who believe that God created humans directly rather than via the process of evolution.

Is it healthy to never expose yourself to opposing view points?

Clairwil

Asked by Clairwil at 11:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I read whatever sounds interesting. Whether I believe it or not, it's nice to hear other sides. But I feel I'm open-minded enough to do that. :) lol My mother in law however won't budge on her views. She does read stuff she doesn't believe in but only so she can find the fuel to fight it. She's very religious and I feel that she likes to argue why she's right. Others though choose not to because they know what they believe and don't need confirmation from others and that's a wonderful thing. The ones who do it because they feel it is wrong to even look at the other side are maybe a little too sheltered bu tthat's ok too. To each his own.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 11:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• to each their own
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i never venture into the journals..and if i do, i might read one who's name i recognize. if i disagree, i don't comment (usually). that's what the debate sections are for...not the journals, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think I saw a comment on one of them that implied that science was wrong. I wondered that, too. When I saw the topic of your journals, I fully expected a firestorm from Creationists and those who believe in the literal word of the Bible. I was surprised at how few comments there were. I, for one, thought the journals were fantastic. I think you should post them again in a few months, for those who missed them the first time.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have nothing against reading material that is contrary to my own beliefs. I believe that questions or challenges allow for further spiritual growth, since one must find a way to meet those challenges or answer those questions and therefore would grow stronger in faith and understanding.

Although there's not much that is contrary to my faith - except the "one" way stuff... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• well i dont get on CM journals unless someone i know posts something and then asks/tells me to read it.

but i have no problem reading things that contradict what i currently think/believe...thats how ya learn & i LOVE learning!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I don't read CM Journals, but I read things all the time that don't necessarily match my beliefs... Right now I'm reading the Idiots Guide to Islam... I'm Pagan. How can we understand others if we don't know where they are coming from?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I try, but I kind of get glazed over when all it does is quote bible verses and stuff. It gets all jumbled to me, like it's rehearsed and/or C&P.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Nope. I don't read journals at all, really, and if I do, I don't bother clicking on the ones that start with a bible chapter and verse in the title or some other similar fire and brimstone rhetoric about the end times coming.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2010