Eczema bleach baths?

T-Baby911

Asked by T-Baby911 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO! WTH? No! What would that do? What are you trying to acomplish? My son has severe atopic dermitis aka verrry bad eczema. Please ask . What symptom are you trying to help?
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Um I have never heard of that and whoever is telling you to do that does not have a clue on how to handle children. Bleach should NEVER EVER be used in a bath. EVER. Not even if it's super diluted. Try an oatmeal bath and some aquaphor lotion. GOOD LORD DO NOT PUT YOUR BABY IN BLEACH!!!! You could seriously hurt them if it got in their eyes (EVEN IF DILUTED) and it could seriously hurt their genitals (EVEN IF DILUTED). Not only all of that but bleach would only irritate them more. I'm sorry, but I am just FLOORED that anyone would ever suggest this. PLEASE CALL A PEDIATRICIAN IF YOU ARE AT ALL CONSIDERING THIS. I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINES OF NEGLIGENCE OR ABUSE.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 12:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• So bad we had to drop his immune system with medicine.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Cetaphil. Or plain dove. Put a lil olive oil in warm bath water. Nothing scented or colored.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Bleach baths work. Studies have proved it. People with ezcema have a much higher bacteria load on their skin than the average population. Its way safer than some of the oral Rx meds and steriod creams they use to control ezcema. Our whole family uses bleach baths to control our ezcema... especially in the winter. Use 1/4-1/2 a cup of REGULAR (not the ultra stuff) to a FULL tub of water, depending on the size of your tub. No more nightime crying fits because of the itchies for our kiddos. Best tip our derm has ever given us. Here's an article about it...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1894149,00.html
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• 1-2 year olds lick them selves, drink the water, as bad as my son has it the derm never suggested it.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Maybe mine was too bad to do it. After reading the study, it doesn't sound any more ok- we knocked his immune system down so it would quit fighting his skin. And I stopped using the cream they gave me (steroid) over time and have been using. A mixture of 1/2 vasoline + 1/2 vita moist (avon) seems to work. But we still have to wet pack like once a week in the winter. And I have gotten it under control cept for his feet which he likes to run out in the dirt and mud -ugh- drying. I use goats milk in his bath from time to time to soothe and every 2 days olive oil in bath. It is soo much work. But none of the staph lesions scarred. And I guess that's the best I can ask.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I'd try an oatmeal bath instead.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2010