Should a stepmom walk onto a football field with real mom and dad on parents night

My grandson is a senior in high school, She did just that first time ever tonight. I think it put him in a tight spot, but I want to know what you think of it.

Piper422

Asked by Piper422 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If the child is ok with it, sure. But if he didn't ask her to, then she should have kept her butt in the stands. She shouldn't have taken it upon herself to walk out there. That puts the child on the spot. And I say this being a SM myself. I love my SKs' and I am at every game and practice, but I am not their mother. If they ever ask me to do something "mom" related (like the situation you're talking about), I'm more than happy to do it....but I'm also not offended if they don't. Maybe your daughter should let her ex know how uncomfortable it made their son.
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 2:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If he requested her to, then it's fine. If he personally did not ask her to do that, it was absolutely wrong.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a stepdaughter and I don't think I would feel right being included in parent night. I would leave it to my husband and her mother.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 12:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I think it depends on what HE thinks or wants....
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not unless he asked her to.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That should be left up to the child. I've gone out on senior night to with one of our band members because her parents couldn't be bothered to be there. And I'm not even a step anything. But I was asked by her to go out with her so she wasn't the only senior band member going out without a parent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have to agree with CaseyErin, I am a step mom to and would never do that, since his real mom and dad were with him. He had one flower to give his mom, he acted like he didnt know what to do with it (and I am sure he didn't!), so his real mom (my daughter) just took it. I strongly believe he didnt know stepmom was going out there too, his real mom had told him she would be there to walk out with him even tho she works nights. Neither family misses a game. Stepmom has already told us all, she does not want to take the place of Mom.
    Piper422

Comment by Piper422 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Its really up to him. I'm a step mother and so more for the child than the real mother. But that really doesn't matter, it's up to the child.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I have step children who love as a mom as well but I would go by what they would want. Prior to the game I wouldve asked if they would want that I wouldn't just walk out there like that. O r i would even wait for a gesture of some kind to see if i was invited so they wouldn't feel uncomfortable like that.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 11:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It would depend on the relationship the child has with the stepparent and the relationship of the entire core family unit. Some steps are just as involved in their stepkids lives as the natural parents. It also depends on what the child wants and is comfortable with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2010