What do you think of this explanation about the history of Halloween?

It says the "...most plausible theory is that Halloween originated in the British Isles out of the Pagan celebration Samhain..."

The reason I have a problem with the quoted statement is because they use the word "theory" instead of "history." It's not a theory that it originated with the Pagans; it's history.

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/halloweenhistory.php

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to agree, it's not Theory, it's basic History... But there are still those who don't believe it, so I guess that's why they would say Theory...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes, but there is more than one "theory" about the history of halloween. Catholics celebrate All Souls Day and All Saints Day at that time of year. It is when we remember our dead. Halloween is All Hallows Eve, the evening before (one of these 2 hoy days). The celebration has evolved from that.....and most likely evolved TO that from a Pagan holy day....but theory is more correct because it is speculation rather than known facts....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Maybe they were using the word theory when referring to it originating on the British Isles, because this is the earlies evidence they have of Halloween but don't know if it is actually where it orginated. Under history of Halloween in the article it says that Halloween dates back to pagan times.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The article gives a lot of questionable theories, such as "if a group of people worshiped a tree, rather than cut it down, he advised them to consecrate it to Christ and allow its continued worship." Where did the author get this information? Worshiping a tree, whether or not it's blessed, is contrary to Church teaching, and is disobeying the first commandment.

The actual day of Halloween is not a Christian feast day or Christian celebration; it may very well be a pagan day for sacrificing animals, lighting bonfires and scaring away evil spirits. But Nov 1st is All Saints Day, a Holy Day of Obligation, meaning we attend Mass that day, even if it doesn't land on a Sunday, and Nov 2nd is All Souls Day, not a Holy Day of Obligation, meaning we don't have to attend Mass that day (unless it's Sunday of course.)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• RyansMom001 - That's a phrase I dislike.. a lot. "... back in pagan times..." To me, that's like saying "... back in christian times..." Those times are still going! There are still Christian times now, as well as Pagan times. They were never gone.

flatlanderjenn - Halloween is not a day for sacrificing animals. At least, it's not for me. For me, it's a day to remember the dead and think about the new year of festivals and celebrations.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2010