Do you think the Food Stamp Program should ban certain foods and bevarages based on nutritional value?

Why or why not?

I think it's a good idea. It would help those using food stamps to purchase healthier food for themselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/ap_on_re_us/us_food_stamps_sugary_drinks;_ylt=AtycWplp8foLkQQp8L_hHHes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFkMmwxNjZuBHBvcwMxNDgEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9oZWFsdGgEc2xrA255c2Vla3N0b2Jhbg--

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It would actually be nice to do that. But the problem then lies in cost of food. Even though FS are meant to supplement, for many people it's their only source of food money. To make the FS stretch, people buy cheaper, sometimes less healthy foods. There needs to be a complete overhaul of the whole thing.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am not sure that food stamps allow for the purchase of soft drinks now. I saw a lady recently, buy food items with food stamps and then she paid for a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper with money. Maybe she used all the food stamps on the food, IDK‚Ķ

I don't think most people on food stamps make stupid choices when trying to feed their families, give them some credit. Because someone is on food stamps doesn't meant they buy a cart full of junk food! Geez! I think this is just one more hand in the control pie for this administration, so no, I don't think they should do this. But since the gvt controls the F/S program, it will be done the way they want it to be done...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I worked at a gas station in college that sat in front of an apartment complex. A really sweet, but not so wise family lived there, and used to come in frequently. They had 8 kids, and on a near daily basis those kids were sent to my store to buy something with their FS. It was always cakes, candy, soda, and chips... and their teeth showed the evidence too. They were great parents, emotionally, but I dont think they knew much about nutrition. So using them as my example...yes, I do think there should be guidelines. If they're going to take a handout, they have to obey the rules. I've needed WIC before, and had no qualms with being told what kind of cheese and milk to get. The rules don't harm anyone...they only help people make healthy choices.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• OP, what is healthy to you? because personally I think if you are going to eat white pasta, you might as well eat cake. and HFCS (or corn sugar) has no place in this house. Do you like ketchup? because, if you do, under my standards, you are not eating healthy, Packaged mac and cheese or hot dogs? Are these ok things to purchase? Where do you draw the line at healthy?

There are CM members who can make a convincing case that only vegetarianism is truly healthy. Should people on foodstamps be allowed to eat meat? There are taxpayers who think its unhealthy and don't like it.

Listen, kids who are on food stamps are already facing some stress. If they had a snack cake every day at lunch before the family had to go for assistance because of whatever situation forced them to, they should still have that sense of normalcy that same lunch provides.

Let's limit the abusers...and let the kids have their cake.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• FS is a program to help people not go hungry, not a program to make sure people get as many treats as they are used to eating before they needed foodstamps.

I do think, especially with the obesity problems facing America, that foodstamps should be limited to actual FOOD. Not junk food. Nobody NEEDS junk food. So there is no NEED to ask the government to help you purchase chips, soda, or candy. People NEED healthy, nutritious, food. Government programs should be limited to what people need.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I am on the program and I live month to month on this money i recieve! I buy healthy stuff for my family! I shop for a month of food at once besides bread and milk (which I get on WIC) So with the money I have left over I do buy snacks and soda! But I budget it! We get Juices and fruits and other stuff already on the WIC program and shouldnt have to be limited when it comes to the foodstamp program also!
    MommyofHDPnPCP

Answer by MommyofHDPnPCP at 3:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If a program is going to be set up to feed hungry families, we best be getting the most nutritious foods out of those dollars as possible so that it can serve as many families as possible.

Food stamps aren't a "choice", they're a last resort for the hungry in america. I only feed my family nutritious foods because we can't afford anything else. If we can do without junk food because we can't afford it, people on food stamps can do without as well. They're taking money from my family, after all.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It depends on how far the government is going to go with this. I don't think foods that have zero nutritional value should be allowed. It's not supposed to be a free for all, free food party on, but something to supplement. Coke, cookies, cakes, chips, candy do not provide nutrition. Yes, every child deserves a treat or something. A can of coke costs what, 69 cents? A bag of cookies $3.00? A candy bar 59 cents? A 12 pack of coke costs around $4.50. That's almost $10 in FSA that could be used towards fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, things that nourish and not just put a turd in your butt.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes. Unhealthy food is a complete waste. It doesnt provide nutrition and you have to eat again anyway to get full. Foodstamps are meant to provide needed ESSENTIALS to people who can't afford them. Let the foodstamps cover the realy food. Nobody is telling people what they can/can't eat, just whose money they can/can't spend on useless junk food.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It's not as easy as everyone thinks to eat "healthy" while relying on food stamps. Organics cost more. Fresh produce costs more. Decent cuts of meat cost more. These people don't want to run out of food before the end of the month.

***
    Ah, but you see, if you MAKE your OWN meals using fresh ingredients, you'll learn how to buy in BULK, and prepare meals in BULK, which then stretch your dollars AND allow you and your family to eat healthy!

Example, I buy 2, whole, fully-cooked, hot and fresh, Rotisserie Chickens from BJ's Wholesale each week for $10. I chop up ONE chicken ($5), add a leaf or two of lettuce (0.10), a couple of slices of low fat swiss cheese (0.30), and a smidge of low-fat mayo (0.05), wrap it all up in a low carb whole wheat flat bread (0.75) and make ONE of those chickens produce SIX full-sized wrap sandwiches! SIX MEALS for about $6.20! Or I could buy ONE meals worth of frozen junk! Which sounds better?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010