Jewish Hell...

Okay, all the teachings I've had and the readings about the Jewish faith I have done all say there is no belief in Hell in Judaism. BUT, I don't know any Jewish people in life, and I've heard a few online say they do believe in Hell...

SO, my question is this: Do Jewish teachings include Hell? Is there a Holy Text to back up the teachings if there is one?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no Hell in the sense that everyone thinks. There is a place for unrightous people to go, but you are there no longer than 12 months. Jewish people tend to not think about afterlife too much. We cross that bridge when we get there. We are more focused on doing good while alive. L'Chaim!! (To life!!)
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• its kinda like the mormons believe .. they think its a place where your away from god
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The reason they say that is because the orthodox jews only use the OT. Messianic Jews use OT and NT
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Jewish Hell = a negative balance in your bank account? lol j/k
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The Jews have always believed that at the end of the world as they knew it --with the coming of Messiah--that the wicked would be destroyed in flames. A lot of the pagan views of hell--everlasting fire, hell as an actual place ever-burning, ect--didn't enter in until after they were taken captive by and lived among people of other nations.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Jewish hell is like a place where you are purified before going to heaven. Gehinnom is a place of repentance, reflection and thought.

After this period of cleansing, souls go to heaven. Only the truly, utterly without good don't go to heaven. They either are destroyed, or sent to a place of torment.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2010