Would you let your teenage daughter go out and campaign on her own?

today I was volunteering at the polls. handing out water to voters. (it's hot in Miami and the lines were very long) 2 young girls (no more than 14-15) walked by with a big sign that read "hitler wanted Change" there was a Jewish older lady (who lost family during that painful time) on line who was offended and asked them if they were jewish. they answer no. The lady told them to get an education and stop ussing their suffering for a political scare tactics agenda. the girls started insulting the lady and some people had to intervene. Okay so knowing how passionate voters are about their affiliation would you let your teenager campaign on their own?

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 1:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I would let them but only with a responsible adult. I would make them find that lady and apologize.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Good gracious... those girls needed some manners! I would never insult an elder.. even if I disagreed with them. That said... Yes, I would let my daughter campaign (but with a chaperone, to keep things like that incident from happening). My kids are entitled to their own opinions, and I would love for them to get involved in the democratic process! Experience is better than any classroom!

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would let my daughter as well but like you said with a chaperone. Those girls were out there walking the street by themselves. I just though it was crazy.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Gotta love teenagers. Everything has to be a fight... everything is black and white, no gray area... Sometimes I wonder why God gives all that gusto and energy to the young and inexperienced! LOL
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• LOL. they do love to fight.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Sometimes I wonder why God gives all that gusto and energy to the young and inexperienced!

I totally agree!

I don't think I would allow my teenager (boy or girl) to go out campaigning with emotions as high as they are with this election. People are tense, people are scared and people are really passionate about their individual beliefs. I would just be a little concerned for their safety. That being said...I would definitely hope that I had raised my children to respect their elders and especially have more compassion for others' experiences and feelings than those girls showed

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm sure if it was for Obama it would have been all good right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Ro anonymous at 7:43AM:
    To assume that it is for Obama may be right, but BOTH the candidates state they want change. But the poster did not ask that or even state who it was for so forget it, all she wanted to know was if you would let your teenager campaign. Do not start someting that doesn't need to be started in a post neutral. Thank you.
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My son has been out there campaigning. I think it depends where you live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would let my daugters share there beliefs but I would make sure that they had the correct info first. When ppl arent then they can get rude and hateful, unfortunatly like those girls did.
    I would want my daugter to feel passionate about it I would be proud, but if my daughter did that she would be made to apoligize then I would propably right a paper on the holicaust?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2008