Moms with kids in preschool, do you find this to be odd?

We are currently touring preschools for my 3 yr old. So far we have looked at 6 places and settled on 2 that stood out for us. We are leaning more to the Montessori preschool because we just love the method of learning. The only problem is they were the only school we toured that didnt have a "security" buzzer or keycode to come into the facility. You just open the gate, open the front door and walk in and sign your kid in. When I asked about this, the director said, they know all the kids and all the parents by name and they are right with your kids when you pick them up so they wouldnt hand over your kid to a stranger. But I still find it really odd. A crazy armed person could just walk in and open fire. I'm just saying. The other schools had a front-desk person, a buzzing system, a sign in/out sheet & a keycode to access the kids room. Its a really great place but this bothers me a lot. How is it like in your kid's schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sons school is not gated at all. It's a house and they have turned the backyard and back few rooms into a preschool (NOT a daycare.. most "schools" around here are daycares, so it's important to make the distinction, and this school serves a great deal of the "upper class" parents around here). They do know every single parent that walks in and wouldn't let a child leave with someone they didn't know without clearing it. Of course, I couldn't even FIND the school until we applied there and asked for a tour because it's so inconspicuous.... but it's not been a problem at all. I am refreshed to use a school that is so unbureaucratic. It's like a neighborhood group.

Does your local public school have a security buzzer? What keeps anyone from walking in and opening fire there?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sometimes buzzer's and front desk people can be a false sense of security. Just because they have the tools doesn't really mean the children are any safer. It might even be the opposite. That the workers will be less vigilant while watching your children bc they have that security buffer that people will need to get through. They can be more lax.
    I really think that the preschools with all those really awesome security items are really just trying to play into a parents desire for their kids to be safe. I am sure they pass the cost of such equipment on to you in tuition too.
    I find it to be different that they dont have one, but in a refreshing way. Instead of trying to keep up with the jones on security they are staying true to their goal and focusing on personal relationships with the families they serve. It is less of an institution and more of a school this way.
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 7:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My preschool is like that. In fact, I think I'd avoid a preschool with electronic door-openers, security guards, metal detectors, etc. My son's kindergarten (public) does not have any of that either. They are very friendly places that make the kids happy.

Within the first week of my stay in our preschool, the director, teacher, and helper knew me, the name of my younger daughter, and everybody else in the school. For that matter, it's at a church and I know for a fact that if somebody tried to leave with my kids, the church secretary would tackle them.

Old-fashioned security. People who know you and care. I have seen every other type of security circumvented easily enough.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My daughter's school has a gate and you have to be buzzed in just to get onto the school grounds. Then you have to go to the office to be let in into the school. The parents have to sign a contract saying that you'll do so many hours of gate security every term. I feel more at ease leaving her at school. If I had 2 schools to chose from, and they're about the same price and I like the teachers as well as the curriculum, I would chose the school with security.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• We walk in the door of the school, wait by the door, sign the sign-out sheet, and the teacher tells our kid they may go. No keys, no passwords, no buzzers, no security other than all but one door is locked during the day. I've never heard of a preschool with security, buzzers, etc. Sounds like a little much to me, unless you're in a major city with a lot of questionable people running around.
    Anonymous

• There is no buzzer system where my DD goes. I walk into the community center and go downstairs to her classroom. The parents wait in the hallway until the teachers open the door. They know every parent, and greet us as we enter and exit. There is also a sign out sheet.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• none of the preschools around here that I'm aware of have a security buzzer or anything like that. Most are hosted in Churches, or schools.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• The schools my girls went to for preschool were in the field houses at our parks.  One was just a 1 room building that was locked during classes.  The other was a classroom inside a big building that had people coming and going all the time because it had a gym, weight room, raquetball courts, etc in it.  The local public school also used it for gym classes.

The doors to the building are always open since it's a public building open to residents.  I assume the teacher locked the classroom door while classes were in session but I never tested that theory.  I never felt my kids were unsafe in either building.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• No gate or buzzer at my son's preschool. It has 2 doors you can go in through though. One has a secretary there and the other takes you directly into the hallway where the classes are. There are always preschool teachers and the director out in the hallway though. Doors are locked at 9.20 everyday.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my dd has went to both locked down and not. i feel like if a person want to get into a place they will find a way. since you like the school and what it has to offer go there.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010