I tried to ask this a while ago and got called a troll... about teens, talking and sex adult content

but a 17 year old boy on here gets on his mom's account and asks me questions about sex through the IM feature. His mom knows, I always tell her what we talked about later and she appreciates that I am willing to answer his questions, because it makes her really uncomfortable. He gets pretty specific lol. Today she actually told him to ask me his questions because she was too uncomfortable.

His questions are normal things that every teenager wonders about and I answer the questions in a professional manner... with facts and statistics instead of personal experiences. He might as well be reading it in a text book for all the emotion I put into the answers.

Good thing or bad thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids will talk to whomever they are comfotable with, and that is not usually their parents (as much as we would really hope they would). My own youngest son does not really want to talk to me about sex because I am a girl, and that just too wierd for him. It is a good thing that he has somebody to talk to, that will give it to him "straight up". Normally when kids and parents cannot communicate here, they go to friends who are known to be oh-so-reliable with their own knowledge.

Besides, in my own dealings over the years with teens that were not my own kids, I always looked at the experiences as "practice" for when my own got to be that age. Good for you!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 1:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i kinda think its a good thing and i know if my kid was asking someone else questions about sex i would hope they would give her the answers like you are
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 1:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• IMO bad thing. I am not calling you a troll, I do not like that term as I have been called that myself a few times over the years on this site. But don't feel bad, it's just the go-to term for the ignorant who don't know what else to say. I know I would rather my son get any info. from his father or preferably myself, as I have sworn to ALWAYS tell my son the truth (no holds barred) about everything and his father wants to lie to him (for instance wants to let him believe that Santa Claus is a real person). If I don't know the answer, I would refer him to a medical site or his pedi.. Have you ever even actually met his mother? It is kind of weird and I would simply say that I would love to help but I would rather not because you never know what could happen that his mother could choose to blame or sue you for.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Sounds like you're being taken for a ride - it is not that hard for a kid to sign up, sign on, and pretend to be both a kid and a parent - kids these days are sneaky rats! Pretty strong chance you're talking to a troll - cuz seriously, what mother would be okay with her teen son talking to a complete stranger about sex?! Either that or someone's going to try to get you in some trouble for talking to a "teen" about that stuff! Put a stop to it immediately or you could have trouble on your hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Weird thing
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I agree, it sounds strange to me. Perhaps provide him with some links to informative websites or something. But 17 seems pretty old (nowadays) to be learning about the birds and the bees. JMHO
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 3:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Good Luck Sister
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• what is wrong with his parents?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010