Toddler Hunger Strike...

My DD is about 17 months old. She is a very healthy eater. She would rather have fruit and salad than grilled cheese or chicken fingers. I have made a big effort to ensure she eats healthy and has a proper diet...
But lately, she seems to be on somewhat of a hunger strike...
She eats a good breakfast every morning. But thats pretty much it. I can MAYBE get her to snack on some fruit or veggies. But she will take 3 bites and thats it! I have even tried to just feed her some fast food, so at least she has SOMETHING in her tummy. But nope!

She is developing just fine. She is very smart, walks, is bilingual, uses sign language, is very active, and is very happy and healthy.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I dont want her snacking all day, she has set meal times, and I dont want her eating unhealthy junk food, but it doesnt feel like she is not eating enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ladies ;)

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 1:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's hungry, she will eat! Continue to offer her meals at her regular meal times, and snacks at regular snack times. Maybe she's just not hungry, and that's okay! My daughter also does this, and she's almost 17 months old, and she's developing normally as well.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes, this is what has happened to my 15 mo old a few times now. Normally she is a little piglet.

You really just need to offer her food all of the time, with plenty of variety. When she feels like it, she will eat. Do not serve liquid first. Try and offer her solids. =) Also, try enticing her with some of her favorites. Might take several days or even a week, but she will come out of it eventually.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• my daughter goes through what i call mood swings with her appetite and its pretty normal she eats a decent amount day to day but some days she doesn't eat a lot and some days she eats almost nonstop it seems
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 1:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Normal. Their hunger really varies based upon growth. DON'T offer junk food just to get her to eat "something".... offer healthy foods always and she will eat when hungry.

My nearly 5 year old still does this! He'll eat 2 bites of his lunch and then say he's full. They know better than we do! As long as she's happy and only being offered good foods, she's fine!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i had the same problem with my son actually still do he has gone months like that eats about a meal a day and takes a few bites of other meals and nothing the rest of the day. and at one of his check ups they drew blood as routine and it came back normal no anemia or malnutritiion. just keep offering it to him. and maybe its not such a bad thing for them not to eat alot at least he already knows when to stop eating when he isnt hungry. which is good cause you later you dont have to worry so much about over wheight.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 1:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My DS did this..I just made sure he had all his nutrion in the AM because after about 11 it was a crap shoot weather he'd much else. GL
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• she may be filling up on her bottle and that may be why she doesn't want her food. Try cutting back on liquids an hour before meals and only serve a small amount with meal, then give her her bottle after the meal.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2010