What do you consider "sleeping through the night"?

My 12 week old now sleeps from about 10pm-5am (yay!) and even though that's 7 hours, I still consider 5am to be the middle of the night lol. Especially because after he eats around 5 he goes back to sleep until around 10. So is that still considered sleeping through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yess!! Enjoy it girl! lol some people consider just 5 hrs sleeping through the night so you're lucky!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 1:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• 10 pm to 5 am is really good for that age! But have you considered trying to shift him to an earlier bedtime? It sounds counter-intuitive, but I have read where sometimes when babies go to bed earlier, they actually sleep longer. Every baby's different, of course, so if yours isn't showing signs of being sleepy until 10 pm, that might just be his style. But you might experiment with adjusting him to go to bed a little earlier and see what happens. Other than that, I'd say just be grateful that he goes back to sleep after he eats at 5:00! My baby often wakes around 5:00 or 6:00 and sometimes won't go back to sleep. :(
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• my baby sleeps from 8pm to 6am then eats goes back 2 sleep n wakes up around 11am-1pm.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 2:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Over 5-6 hours is technically sleeping through the night.
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Wow you are lucky
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• no this isnt considered sleeping thru the nite.the best thing for me that worked is feeding a bottle at 7pm and at 9pm give your baby half a teaspoon of potato and punkin mash.feeding your baby solids at this age will not affect the baby nor will it harm.i started both my kids on solids when they were a month old and honestly it hasnt affected them,just make sure its homemade and made fresh daily,i also recomend that if baby still wakes at same time in morning baby could be thirsty and try boiled warm water that also works aswell at any age.put a lil bit of margerine in with it aswell,i used to put a pinch of salt n pepper.but this worked for me,you may just find that it will work for you.it only took both my kids a week to finaly sleep thru.i had this recomened by an old lady bout 60years old and thats what they used to do in the old days.
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 2:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You are soo lucky, my 10 months old twins still wont sleep that long!!!!
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• this is sleeping through the night. please do not start feeding your child strange things at such a young age!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I consider sleeping through the night to be from 8 pm until about 6 am. Therefore NONE of my kids slept through the night until they were about nine mos to a year old. :) I think "sleeping thru the night" is whatever you decide it is.
    hfs1998

Answer by hfs1998 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• sleeping thought the night is a blessing for some moms. so enjoy the sleeping thought the night
    joshuasmommy609

Answer by joshuasmommy609 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008