Should a christian decorate,celebrate or let there kids go trick or treat for Halloween?

My hubby asked this on his FB and didn't get much of a reponse what do yall think?

MommyofHDPnPCP

Asked by MommyofHDPnPCP at 2:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Celebrate having fun and you LO's b day!! THere is nothing wrong with it! My kids went to a Catholic school 2 yrs ago and they all got to dress up and T & T as well as have Halloween parties at the school. Now, MORE importantly!! Your FIL acting as he does and spoiling fun for your kids is OUTRAGEOUS!! I would calmly tell your DH that his father is welcome to come but if there is any disruption on his part in ANY way - he will be escorted to the door. Behavior like that IN FRONT OF LITTLE ONES is def NOT Christ like and he needs to be checked! I am a Christian - born again and believe that Jesus died to save me from my sins....and I also believe that we should only do and say what we would do and say if Jesus were standing right next to you and if your FIL says yes to that question - sorry, but I would doubt his salvation as being true salvation. It is not from good deeds. It is a free Gift from God. GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i'm a christian and we do. there is a difference between having a fun day for the kids with trick or treating and dressing up, decorating, parties, carving pumpkins and turning it into a day to "worship" demons and whatnot. halloween is a fun day, there is nothing that says we can't have fun and celebrate with our children, or even ourselves. the only thing that would make it wrong is if we worshiped other things then God.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• It really depends on what type of Christian he is. The term Christian could mean such a large variety of beliefs. In the past Christians celebrated All Hallows and it was a day to remember the deceased.. that would be November 1st.. Halloween is also All Hallows Eve... and is still considered a Christian holy day.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Halloween (like just about every other holiday) has Pagan Roots (Samhain) BUT, today Halloween is purely secular, so there isn't any reason not to celebrate it... Just have some fun once in a while!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• That would be up to said christian I suppose.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I asked this before and got a lot of good responses. I personally don't see any harm. It's just fun for the kids. It's not like your going out acting in satanic rituals or anything. If you still don't agree though, a lot of churches even do a "harvest night" type of thing where you can go to the church, dress up, and the kids have fun and eat candy. You just can't dress "ghouly, or scary".

Google the history of halloween. When it first came around, way back when, it was compl. harmless, in a sense...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Yes they should if they want to. Halloween is fun for kids, there is nothing wrong with fantasy and imagination.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• ok, if my fil said there was no Santa to my kids, he would not ever come near them again. What an a$$! The fact that you keep him around shows what a good person you are! I would not be so forgiving. Halloween is so much fun for kids. Old people are just crazy...would he have disowned your child if they were born on Halloween?
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• *feel sorry for HIM*...(come on, caffeine!)

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Plain and simple , you all are the parents and his dad is the grandparent, i hope the children enjoy the holiday ,have lots and lots of fun.
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 9:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010